Evil Corn Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It might be cane syrup. Using it in a Best Bitter.
20190223_102247.jpg

What type of beers do you use it in and do you add it at the last 15 min of boil? I have 4 cans and I’m wanting to use them soon. Thanks

For just straight golden syrup I'd use it in pale ales/bitters etc. With stouts etc it would get a bit lost, I think I'd just use white sugar in those cases if I didn't want much of flavour from the sugar. I normally use the stronger flavoured, darker syrups in those beers though, as I like the flavours they impart

I got it on Amazon .. Was crafting a recipe that borrowed some ideas from Old Speckled Hen, and this came up. The comments on it were that it was the "go to" syrup in a BB and that nothing was really an adequate substitute.

Always interested in English-style beers.
Been considering a try at creating my own version of invert for English ale but have at least two batches of grain for a Vienna lager and wheat beer to do yet. Those low ABV dark mild recipes seem easy to prepare but I'm not sure which yeast would be best for an authentic take on the style.
Hints? LBHS usually stocks White Labs but I can get Wyeast strains, too.

This is awesome! I stopped by this thread because of the BL super bowl ad that infuriated my wife who is a chemical engineer for Tate and Lyle. I'm pretty sure this is a legacy product from them as it's a British company specializing in sweeteners and starches. The way I understand it, they were 2 companies refining sugar in the early 1900s by guys with the last name of Tate and Lyle

I've used a dyi version in a bombardier clone recipe. Just look on YouTube for golden syrup recipe and you'll see it's cheaper and easier to make at home.

Back