Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great to know Calichusetts, I will try that on my next brew day. I also want to try using a hopps bag to help eliminate some crud.

A $.65 one from the local homebrew shops worked perfectly. No crud.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Home Brew mobile app

A $.65 one from the local homebrew shops worked perfectly. No crud.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Home Brew mobile app

Probably unorthodox, but you can get sleeve filters for aquarium pumps. Slip it over you autosipon with a rubber band...crystal clear racks every time..just soak it in starsan first

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

Probably unorthodox, but you can get sleeve filters for aquarium pumps. Slip it over you autosipon with a rubber band...crystal clear racks every time..just soak it in starsan first

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

Any chance you could link a pic of one so I can see what they look like? Sounds like a great idea.

At work right now, but ill post a pic later this evening. Same concept as using steel wool or something to filter the larger stuff. Just easier to use these on the end of your cane and it does a superb job of catching the finer trub elements when racking

Drank some more of my Bruxelles Blonde last night...

I highly recommend this mix.... great beer...I hope they put the recipe out sometime. :mug:

Drank some more of my Bruxelles Blonde last night...

I highly recommend this mix.... great beer...I hope they put the recipe out sometime. :mug:

That sounds great, I have been wanting to try that one, like all the rest of their recipes lol. I currently have the BBQ beer bottled for one week...one more week to go and I can't wait to try one of those! Only ended up with 8, 12oz bottles. My capper broke the top off one bottle. The screws that hold the metal tabs that grip the bottle neck were loose. I hope that does not happen again.

That sounds great, I have been wanting to try that one, like all the rest of their recipes lol. I currently have the BBQ beer bottled for one week...one more week to go and I can't wait to try one of those! Only ended up with 8, 12oz bottles. My capper broke the top off one bottle. The screws that hold the metal tabs that grip the bottle neck were loose. I hope that does not happen again.

Sorry to see your capper broke a bottle. Is the capper the one from BBS, just wondering if I have to be more careful?
Glad to see this thread going, I check in all the time.
Thanks for the great info,
Ed

Smoke signals

Sorry to see your capper broke a bottle. Is the capper the one from BBS, just wondering if I have to be more careful?
Glad to see this thread going, I check in all the time.
Thanks for the great info,
Ed

Smoke signals

It is not the BBS capper, it is an old all black Italian made capper that has probably only capped about 200 bottles. The BBS one look like better quality, it has a grip on the tabs that grip the bottle. I'll be bottling a cream ale later today...I'll keep my fingers crossed it does not break another bottle!

Any one brew the WGD Brown from the BBS recipe book? I brewed the light last year and it was awesome, would like to try the brown for a little variety. Then maybe the dark or the chestnut brown..hard to get chestnuts now lol

Asked Brooklyn Brew Shop about finding the recipe for the Bruxelles Blonde...

Good news... it will be in their upcoming 2nd book.. comes out in May, 2014. You can preorder it right now at AMAZON.

Last edited by a moderator:
At work right now, but ill post a pic later this evening. Same concept as using steel wool or something to filter the larger stuff. Just easier to use these on the end of your cane and it does a superb job of catching the finer trub elements when racking

Scout, any chance you're still planning on uploading that picture? Definitely interested.

Asked Brooklyn Brew Shop about finding the recipe for the Bruxelles Blonde...

Good news... it will be in their upcoming 2nd book.. comes out in May, 2014. You can preorder it right now at AMAZON.

That is great news, I will preorder it! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not the BBS capper, it is an old all black Italian made capper that has probably only capped about 200 bottles. The BBS one look like better quality, it has a grip on the tabs that grip the bottle. I'll be bottling a cream ale later today...I'll keep my fingers crossed it does not break another bottle!

Good luck!

Smoke signals

No broken bottles today :) capper worked great so it must have been the loose screws...and not the ones in my head lol

I just bought a BBS kit and made it up on Saturday....excited to see how it turns out. I did the Grapefruit Honey Ale, but with no grapefruit peels. Fermentation started about 7 hours after hitting the carboy and progressed well. I put the airlock on this morning after 3+ days with the blow off tube. There is very little activity at this point.

Right now, I'm in the (typical, I imagine) wildly paranoid phase where every little change surely indicates failure. Hopefully, it will be at least somewhat drinkable in a few weeks. I can't wait to start experimenting with different recipes to see what kind of fun I can get into...

One day less than five weeks from brew day, we cracked the first bottle. It was.....GOOD!! In fact, If I didn't brew it, I would gladly pay to drink it. If I was overly critical, I'd say it's a touch over-carbonated and yeasty, but time may heal all.

So, I did three weeks less two days in primary. I filled nine and a bit bottles. The beer has been in the bottles for two weeks and a day. I put the first bottle in the fridge for 48 hours before opening. No gushing, nice head, fairly cloudy, but a really good tasting beer.

One day less than five weeks from brew day, we cracked the first bottle. It was.....GOOD!! In fact, If I didn't brew it, I would gladly pay to drink it. If I was overly critical, I'd say it's a touch over-carbonated and yeasty, but time may heal all.

So, I did three weeks less two days in primary. I filled nine and a bit bottles. The beer has been in the bottles for two weeks and a day. I put the first bottle in the fridge for 48 hours before opening. No gushing, nice head, fairly cloudy, but a really good tasting beer.

Just drank one tonight. That is a really good one. This was several months in the bottle, and super clear. Also less yeasty.

Just tried the BBQ beer from the BBS recipe book, two weeks in bottles and tastes great, nice smoky finish to it, has a slightly noticeable maple flavor, deep amber color. Coming up next week is a cream ale, then a hefe.

Just out of curiosity, what are most BBS style brewers using to carb your beers? Are you sticking to the recipe book and using honey or maple syrup? Have you used anything else and of so how were the results? I was thinking of using those carb sugar drops that are sold but not sure if its a good idea. I've only used honey and maple syrup as recipes call, and even when formulating my own recipes.

Just out of curiosity, what are most BBS style brewers using to carb your beers? Are you sticking to the recipe book and using honey or maple syrup? Have you used anything else and of so how were the results? I was thinking of using those carb sugar drops that are sold but not sure if its a good idea. I've only used honey and maple syrup as recipes call, and even when formulating my own recipes.

I really enjoyed using honey...did it for about 100 batches. I just use sugar now. Cheaper, works just as well, much easier to measure on a small scale.

I recently started using priming sugar. Honey was getting too expensive for 5 gal batches. I was also having inconsistencies with maple syrup.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've used them once on like 4 bombers of a small batch of barley wine. Did the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What do you guys use for cleaning and sanitizing? I've been using regular dish soap like plamolive ans starsan, but I'm looking to move away from the dish soap...any suggestions?

What do you guys use for cleaning and sanitizing? I've been using regular dish soap like plamolive ans starsan, but I'm looking to move away from the dish soap...any suggestions?

Oxyclean. Actually the Walmart knockoff. Takes a while to rinse.

Do you use that just like regular soap, or just leave bottles and equipment soaking in it then rinse?

There are instructions on the container for different strengths. I can remember how much I use, but basically put a scoop in the fermenter and let it sit. Soak other stuff in a bucket of it if its grungy. Wipe as needed but don't scratch any plastic.

Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. It takes a while. Use warm water to rinse. Rinse.

As long as your equipment looks "clean" it should be fine. Then sanitize to make sure there's nothing living on it.

Sometimes I use bleach overnight in the fermenter before I brew. A couple of TB per gallon... And maybe a splash more. Let it sit overnight, then rinse a couple times with cold water. Rinse well. Then Star San before adding the wort.

I also do that after brewing to help retard mold or mildew.

Soap works well for oily stuff, but oxy gets the hard chunky stuff off.

For me, corn sugar has worked much better than honey or maple and it's much less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For me, corn sugar has worked much better than honey or maple and it's much less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you use it in syrup or powder form? And for a typical one gallon batch how much do you use?

Oxyclean. Actually the Walmart knockoff. Takes a while to rinse.

Sweet... I didn't know there was a walmart knockoff... I bought my oxy at walmart.. I'll check for the house brand and try it out.

This was such a big improvement in my brew day. 170 preheat while I mash in. Turn it off and forget it. It holds the temp perfectly...in fact I get a little rise and take it out after 15 minutes to stir. Really freed up my mash time to do other things besides nurse a rising and falling mash temp.

Are there instructions online somewhere? I'm hoping to make the Everyday IPA tomorrow. Thanks! :mug:

This was such a big improvement in my brew day. 170 preheat while I mash in. Turn it off and forget it. It holds the temp perfectly...in fact I get a little rise and take it out after 15 minutes to stir. Really freed up my mash time to do other things besides nurse a rising and falling mash temp.

When you put it in the oven, do you put the lid on the kettle?

I recently brewed their Simcoe IPA. Followed the recipe from the book except I made a few minor changes. First I added 1/4 whirlfloc tab, second I dry hopped with 2.5 grams of simcoe, and third I cold crashed it for 3 days. Only ended up with 8 bottles. I tried one after 10 days in the bottle and boy was I impressed. The beer was excellent. I will open another this sunday which will be 14 days bottled. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Is it good? Got any pics? I recently got the first one (better late than never) and can't wait to try.

Smoke signals

I don't have any pics... the second book has some really cool recipes and a story to go along with each one... they do seem to be a bit more involved than the first book, so I'd get everything out of the first book you can before picking this one up.

Any one try the cucumber beer in the new book? I'd like to know ideas as to what size/type of jug to use if the recipe calls for an entire cucumber at fermentation, or if I want to add 2!?! Thanks ahead :) I've only used the 1 gal jugs, the type that come with the kits. I'm pretty sure it will not all fit in there.

Back