Everyday I'm LAGERING (insert Shufflin dance track)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been lagering now at 33 degrees for about three weeks. Fermentation is done and the marks were hit and a sample tasted great. I ferment under pressure and I noticed that I still have a lot of yeast and such in suspension floating around. I'm going to filter this beer but I would have thought that 3 weeks at 33 degrees would have cleared this beer right up a la cold crash. Is this not the case with lagers?

I'd offer my thoughts, but I don't ferment under pressure, and I ferment in a Sanke so I can't see inside it anyway.

I just transferred my O'Fest from lagering to serving kegs last night after 4 weeks @ 34-35 degrees, and judging by the tubing it was flowing through, it looked brilliantly clear. I added gelatin about 1 week ago, so that also has an effect.

But like you, I'd expect 3 weeks at 33 degrees to leave a nice clear beer with nothing in suspension.

Give it another week or 2. If its still cloudy, then you've got something else going on. Any fruit in this beer?

No Fruit in the beer. I tasted it and it tasted great. It's not infected as far as I can tell. I'm also thinking that when I open the valve the pressure escaping is a downward pressure towards the dip tube and maybe that's causing it to stir up. I would hate to have a hazed but tasty pilsner on tap. I wonder if my small addition of carafoam had any affect.

I've never made a lager, but I love the sh*t out of some Stevie...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFq3Gu0p-6Y"]I'm wondering[/ame]...

Back