Ever have a Beersplosion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
Just thought I would share my experience last night, and describe why you should use a blowoff tube!

I started a wheat ale two days ago, no excess sugars, just some DME, LME, and some specialty grains. Fermentation seemed pretty consistant, so I left for a few hours to run a few errands. When I got back fermentation was going crazy, and krausen was bubbling out of the airlock. Rookie mistake, should have added a blowoff tube. So I get everything ready, but as I touch the airlock it shoots out like a rocket, and hits me square between the eyes. A volcano of krausen followed, like a 3rd grade science fair. Apparently some particulates got stuck in the airlock, and actually carbonated the beer. I lost almost 32oz from a simple mistake.

Wow, yeah nice! I've used a blow-off tube every time since the first brew by recommendation of club members. Saved my butt cause my rookie mistake on the first one was fermenting too warm.

Yeah, usually I always use a blowoff tube, but I was being lazy, and figured, "I'll just put one on if it looks like ill need one." Guess what, I needed one. "Airlock facepalm"

I've done it a few times.

I don't like blow off tubes because I always feel like I am wasting good flavor. I now just use larger primaries. But for a couple of reasons. 1) keeps the foam in. 2) keeps the flavor in. 3) provides better oxygenation at the beginning of the process.

As ridiculous as it may sound, I like it when it foams up. It gives me confidence that I didn't screw up.. Ever have a batch that didn't foam at all? Terrible feeling.

I'm curious as to why you think a blow off tube would allow loss of flavor?
I use one routinely even though I have 2 gallons of headspace it's saved my a** on numerous occasions.

Just thought I would share my experience last night, and describe why you should use a blowoff tube!

I started a wheat ale two days ago, no excess sugars, just some DME, LME, and some specialty grains. Fermentation seemed pretty consistant, so I left for a few hours to run a few errands. When I got back fermentation was going crazy, and krausen was bubbling out of the airlock. Rookie mistake, should have added a blowoff tube. So I get everything ready, but as I touch the airlock it shoots out like a rocket, and hits me square between the eyes. A volcano of krausen followed, like a 3rd grade science fair. Apparently some particulates got stuck in the airlock, and actually carbonated the beer. I lost almost 32oz from a simple mistake.

Hahaha krausen facial.

My first wheat I lost probably a pint from the same issue. A chunk of krausen got stuck and pressure built up. As soon as I tapped the airlock it shot like a Bullet with a stream of foam afterwards. I know your loss. Never took one between the eyes tho. :p

My 6 Gallon Bavarian Hefeweizen was placed in a 7 gal bucket. I checked after 4 hours of yeast pitching and I had insane fermentation. Like non stop bubbles to the point the it had frothed the Starsan out of the top like a little crown of bubbles. I added my blowoff tube immediately. I knew where this one was heading. B-) my wheats always foam like mad.

My Brewer's Best American Pale Ale overflowed last night. There is no airlock, just a lid that it foamed from beneath. The pot fermenter is in a cooler, so clean-up wasn't too hard. It's funny, because just yesterday I was wondering if 20% headspace was enough. It's not.

Use a blow off at the start of EVERY fermentation. I have had blow offs when I have had large headspace, sometimes none even over filled. I even had blow off once when I used FermCap S.

I use a fermentation chamber and ferment at the low end of the yeast's range and sometimes it still blows!

kh54s10 said:
Use a blow off at the start of EVERY fermentation. I have had blow offs when I have had large headspace, sometimes none even over filled. I even had blow off once when I used FermCap S.

I use a fermentation chamber and ferment at the low end of the yeast's range and sometimes it still blows!

I was curious if temp had much to do with it. Sounds like it only has a little to do with it.

I had a cider bubble over this weekend. The most sickening stench was wafting up through the basement. I swear I can still smell it.

Back