Ever get something really cool for free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosgate

Reaction score
Just got my order from an online company for a cooler bulkhead valve assy and was disappointed when I saw my free DVD was not in the box. Wait, there is a little box in there. Open it up and it's a Blichmann Engineering BrewMometer that I did not order or get billed for! I was actually thinking about ordering one of these in the future to imbed into my 10 Gal Commercial Igloo I use for a mash tun.

Would you call them any swap for the DVD?

I'd call and let them know what happened. Easy advice when I'm not the one who got a brewmometer I didn't order.

Yah, I'd call. Someone out there might be missing their stuff. If the company you ordered from is worth their salt, they will at least make it up to you.

milesvdustin said:
That's a no brainer, make the call.

I agree. Ultimately it's up to you, live by the "Golden Rule"... or not. You're the only one who has to live with the decision you make. I've made a few I regret in my day, it's usually the simple ones that haunt me.

There's no excuse for not doing the right thing here. If they left out part of your order, you'd expect them to correct their error. This is the flipside of that.

Call them and offer to send it back if they'll cover shipping. If they accept that offer, then return it and that's that. If they tell you to keep it, well, I'd be sure that they got enough of my repeat business to more than make up for that write-off.

Due to a shipping error I ended up getting 200 free caps from Bottlemark.com. I contacted the company and offered to pay for the extra caps and was told to consider it a gift.

I did what I felt was right and in the end not only did I get 200 free bottle caps, bottlemark.com made a customer for life.

Yea, unless someone shipped you five pounds of gold bullion, a supplier will never ask you to ship something back, they just need to know where their product ended up so they can make it right to the real owner.

There are few things more cliche, but honesty is always the best policy. If you received something that was not yours, at least let them know about it. 99.999% of the time you will get to keep it, and 110% of the time you will never regret being honest.

Repeated for truth: you will never regret being honest. Never.

I was in a similar situation with NB once. I knew I had "the upper hand" since it was their mistake, but I wasn't trying to jack them over either. In my case they sent me a better item than what I had ordered, but I actually needed that lesser item.

The winning strategy is called "BATNA". Best alternative to a negotiated agreement. In your case, your best alternative is to keep the more expensive thermometer. Their best alternative is to insist upon its return, pay for shipping, pay for the manpower to deal with you and the restocking of said item and then to send you back the item you are entitled to.. and hope that you actually return it. Anything that falls above their BATNA ought to be an extremely desirable outcome to them. And most likely, there's a LOT of latitude there. So call them and when you do, say, "I'd be happy to keep it.. but I still want those videos. Can we compromise and I'll just pay an extra $xx for the videos shipped to my door?"

If your offer is better than their BATNA, and gives them additional profit over you just keeping the thermometer and walking away, any competent, rational CSR will agree to it.

Every time I catch a business in a screw-up, the first thing I do is offer to spend MORE money to rectify the situation. And, being a poor slob, most of the time, my offer kinda breaks my bank a little... "Well, I really didn't want to spend this much, otherwise I would have just ordered it to begin with. but... since we're in this bind, what if I gave you some extra money in exchange for..." In that case, they will practically give you ANYTHING you ask for if it makes them just a couple of extra dollars. It's better to resolve a conflict by making an extra $50 (and have a very satisfied customer), than saving $10 and having somebody talking about the hassle they went through.

I once got sent the wrong laptop computer. After contacting customer support, I ordered a second one at barely-above-cost in exchange for keeping the first one. They probably made an extra twenty bucks off me as a result. And I saved a few hundred off the price of two laptops. I pose the situation as this: We can quibble over you owing me a hundred bucks... or I'll place another order and you will make a very tiny additional profit. Which would you prefer? Lose the hundred that you rightfully owe me? or make an extra $20 on top of it?

When I bought my first motorcycle, I negotiated a killer deal and once it was all said and done, I paused before signing and said, "Well, this deal isn't good enough. I want to give you more money. What do you say we ADD $250 to the price? I want to give you an ADDITIONAL $250 over what we just agreed upon and shook hands on... in exchange for $500 in accessories..." He shrugged. The markup on that stuff (retail) is huge. But with that deal, now I could buy the stuff in his store for a little less than the internet price. Yeah... I spent more with HIM, for stuff I had to buy anyway and could have bought over the internet. It was probably a wash for him. But the sales manager left smiling and still liked me because I bought a bike from him and churned some inventory... and I felt even better about the deal because I could buy the accessories right then and there without getting ripped off on the price or having to deal with buying off the internet. I basically got a few things at cost. It's better to give up a few things at no cost, than to give you money back that they've already counted in their pockets. Isn't that logical and totally awesome? Spend MORE with them when they screw up and you have an AWESOME bargaining position! If you propose something extra that makes them another dime and saves you a dollar, they will be hard-pressed to say no!

I remember that manager looked at me with this really surprised look. I just negotiated a $6,500 deal and then once he agreed, I suggested I give him MORE money. But he realized I wasn't hurting his bottom line... I was just getting some stuff "at close to cost". He knew his profit was secure from the bike deal. I wasn't costing him anything. In fact, my offer was a SLIGHT benefit in terms of churned inventory. The guy is happy to sell the bike. Is he going to negotiate hard over the fact that I want to make him only the tiniest bit more profit? Nah... He'll jump on it!

That's negotiating gold right there!

Just got off the horn with Northern Brewer. Told them If they just wanted to bill be the $8 plus ship on the DVD and let me keep the thermometer that would be fine with me rather than having to deal with shipping it back. That was fine by them. So, not a bad deal overall, instead of a free $8 DVD It's like getting a DVD and Blichmann Brewmometer for about $8. Have to buy more stuff from them in the future.

Didn't take long to decide on what to do with it. 20minutes with a dremel and 1/2in drill bit and it's done. Ran a heat loss check and no noticable difference in heat loss from results before (1C) drop.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

NB's customer service is amazing. That's why I'm a customer for life.

fosgate said:
Just got off the horn with Northern Brewer. Told them If they just wanted to bill be the $8 plus ship on the DVD and let me keep the thermometer that would be fine with me rather than having to deal with shipping it back. That was fine by them. So, not a bad deal overall, instead of a free $8 DVD It's like getting a DVD and Blichmann Brewmometer for about $8. Have to buy more stuff from them in the future.

Good deal! They made a happy customer, made a couple extra dollars, and rewarded your honesty. Glad it worked for you. Offering to throw a business some extra cash for their screw up has literally saved me thousands of dollars in the years since I discovered that trick. It is single-handedly one of the best negotiating tricks that few people ever think of. It is a dragon-slaying technique, really. You can start out with a win-lose competitive problem where you lose a dollar for every dollar they gain, and you walk away with MORE savings than you started out with... and the other guy will still shake your hand. Thank William Ury for that though, not me.

I think another reason it works though is that in some companies, it makes the "customer returns guy" look like a total stud. "Yeah, so this customer calls in because we sent him the wrong item. By the time I was through with him, he agreed to keep the wrong item instead of sending it back and he PAID for the correct one! He even agreed to pay for something we normally give away for free... and then he bought another hundred bucks worth of stuff on top of it! (Oh yeah... I did have to give him a 30% discount on that stuff, but hey, it's more sales and a little more money for us. That's better than an angry customer, isn't it?" The sales guy obsesses over the margin because that's how he's graded and how he keeps his job. For the returns guy, any extra nickel he can squeeze from you is pure gravy. And hey, I don't mind letting the other guy look good in front of his boss... as long as I'm winning too...

Back