Ever added threads to a thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinback

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried to put some threads on a thermometer like the one attached. I have about 4 of these and figure I could mod a 1/2" bolt (drill the appropriate size hole) so I could attach (solder, glue or weld)) it to this thermometer. Is it possible?

image-2274122664.jpg

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to buy a thermometer meant to be used that way?? I don't have the proper equipment so it would cost me far more to convert one.

If you did it I think the best option would be to epoxy the threaded piece on. Any welding or soldering might damage the probe.

Yes-use it with a coupling. I realize the npt therms aren't that expensive, but I have 4 of these therms like this already. If I can epoxy some sorta npt threads to these, then I can use what I have.

day_trippr said:
I'd see if there's a compression fitting that would work with that stem...

Cheers!
This is a real possibility...

If its 1/4" diameter, use a 3/8" compression adapter so it will pass through and some silicone tubing or stacked orings to form the seal inside the compression ferrule.

or you can drill out the stop on a 1/4" compression adapter (brass or stainless)

BargainFittings said:
If its 1/4" diameter, use a 3/8" compression adapter so it will pass through and some silicone tubing or stacked orings to form the seal inside the compression ferrule.

or you can drill out the stop on a 1/4" compression adapter (brass or stainless)

It is 1/4" dia. Thanks for this info. I will have a look at the hardware store tomorrow and see what I can locate. I love DIY so this has me curious for sure.

BargainFittings said:

And this is why I buy fittings from bargain fittings!

pinback said:
yes, quite the knowledgeable staff! and how much more awesome that they share their knowledge with others. they surely get IT when it comes to good business.

Absolutely!

Got the therm fitted. No leaks. Used an old enamel pot that I use for HLT for this experiment. $8 for everything.

image-2880252131.jpg

image-2728155594.jpg

image-1801858956.jpg

image-2043390195.jpg

Back