Ethyl acetate or fusels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosti2k2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been experiencing a consistent issue with my brews. It is a solventy, hot taste that is very distracting. It is more noticeable when brewing high gravity beers and also when using belgian, saison or wheat yeasts, but I have also noticed it in more cleaner American or english strains.

From the faultfinding descriptions in 'how to brew' I have narrowed it down to either excessive ethyl acetate or fusel alcohols. The problem is I am not able to distinguish which one of these I am tasting.

Does anyone know any methods for distinguishing between the two? If I can identify it then I can start looking into my somewhat unorthodox processes etc. to see what might be causing it.

Cheers,
Matt

Smell the brake fluid of the car: if it similar, you got a fusel problem. The Ethyl acetate smell more like a cheap paint.

I ferment in a temp controlled fridge with a thermocouple taped to the fermenter underneath a sponge to insulate. I tend to start at the lower end of the temp range. Unless somehow I am not measuring the actual temp of the beer then I don't think it's a simple ferment temp issue.

Rather than try to find the cause, I wanted to first attempt to confirm the compound I am tasting as there are a different set of factors for esters vs fusels.

I did once try to gently heat up some of the beer, thinking that I could distill off some of the potential fusels but the sample tasted vile after heating.

Interesting about the car brake fluid. Whenever I have smelt DOT 4 brake fluid it just smells oily. Nothing like the descriptions I have seen for fusels

Brake fluid contains butanol, employed to swallow the rubber seals. The brands I have dealt have the distinctive smell.

Anyway here is a run-down of my setup:

Equipment: "Phil mill" grain mill, 50L stainless mash tun, 40L aluminium boil kettle/fermentor, copper pipe lauter manifold with silicone syphon hose, 10kW outdoor paella gas burner, corny kegging system, +other odds and ends.

Ingredients: uncrushed grain and whole vacuum packed hops from 'the malt miller.com'. Dry yeast strains used for convenience (liquid yeast used only a few times). Grain stored at room temp loosely closed bag, yeast packets in fridge, hops in freezer.

Water: realised pretty quickly that portsmouth water is not really suitable for anything apart from Stout so I have been treating my tap water since I started. I use brun 'water spreadsheet calculator to determine phosphoric acid additions to both mash and sparge water and also add equal amounts of minerals to both waters depending on beer style. End goal is a room temp ph of about 5.5. Rarely this is checked with a ph meter but mostly assumed by the spreadsheet.

Process: I have tended to attempt shortcuts in my all-grain process over the years. I started off brewing as described in 'how to brew' by John Palmer. Typical 3 vessel homebrew method of infusion mashtun ----> kettle ----> fermentor with rapid cooling to ferment temp using a copper immersion chiller. But for the last three years I have been using a cut down method in order to try and save time and simplify. This consisted of two mayor changes.... (1) I don't chill the wort after the boil. (2) I do not rack to a fermentor. I ferment directly in the kettle.

So I would mash in the 50L pot for at least an hour, sometimes more, stirring about every 15mins. Then syphon into the boil kettle for a 60min rolling boil (90 for pilsner malt), with hops added as required. Protofloc/Irish moss tablet added last ten minutes. Then I cover the pot with a few layers of cling film at flameout and then let cool for about 20 hours at room temp. Final temp adjustment before pitching yeast is done in a temperature controlled fridge.
I feel this method saves a lot of time but more importantly it guarantees an almost sterile wort and fermentor as it has been boiled for at least 60 mins.

For the dry yeast, I always rehydrate the packet using the manufacturers datasheet and use an online calculator to tell me how many grams of yeast are needed. I will then add the yeast, swirl the fermentor for a few minutes and after that I will add air using a medical syringe filter and a small aquarium pump for about 30 - 60 mins. Sometimes I will aerate with the pump first then add the yeast (30 mins) But sometimes I add the yeast first and just aerate longer (60 minutes). My logic for this is that air can only saturate wort to about 8ppm so in half an hour the yeast will have taken up the 8ppm present and then by keeping the pump on there will be another 8ppm still in the wort when the pump is switched off after 60 mins. So the yeast will see a total of about 16ppm.

Then I would ferment at 17 - 20 deg C depending on the beer in the controlled fridge for 7-14 days. After day 4 I raise the temp about a degree a day until day 7 to increase yeast activity and then hold that temp until packaging into a corny keg and carbonated with a CO2 cylinder . Fermentation temperature is measured and controlled with a thermocouple stuck to the side of the fermentor with tape and a sponge over the top to insulate the sensor from the external influence. I'm told this gives an accurate beer temperature but I have never confirmed this by measuring directly inside the pot

If your going to make additions to your water and not taking a ph reading anything is possible. You won't know if your doing anything wrong without a test. I'd start there.
Then I'd double check fermentation temps.
Then I'd consider potential off flavors from brewing, cooling and fermenting in aluminum. I know it's been a hot topic about using aluminum as a kettle in the past and it's been mostly debunked over time but I'm not sure about such extended contact. Yes we drink beer from cans but if you can't find your source maybe a carboy and a split batch could help you rule it out

Back