Estimating FG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Dad

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to all grain brewing, and I ran into an issue with my last batch.

I measured the pre boil gravity, but during the boil I was cleaning my workshop and accidentally broke my hydrometer...so I just finished the boil according to the time in the recipe, and now I have the density after 7 days of fermentation...is there a way I can assess either the ABV, FG or if it's ok to move into second fermentation? (I have a new hydrometer)

Thanks in advance!

Final gravity is easy, just take a reading. If you are looking for your original gravity you can come close. What was your pre boil gravity and volume? Post boil volume? You usually gain a couple of points during boil. What style of beer? I recommend at least another week or two in fermenter.

is there a way I can assess either the ABV, FG or if it's ok to move into second fermentation? (I have a new hydrometer)

First, I think you meant OG, not FG, as you have a new hydrometer.

Yes, if you know your post boil volume or boil rate and time. Here is how...
  1. If you don't have your post boil volume, you can estimate your post boil volume by subtracting the amount boiled away from your pre oil volume
  2. Calculate the number of points of sugar you extracted - preboil * last two digits of gravity (1.050 = 50)
  3. Calculate your Original Gravity by dividing the number of points by your post boil volume
Once you have your OG and FG per your hydrometer, just calculate ABV.

Regarding secondary fermentation. Most homebrewers do not use a secondary anymore as yeast health is so good these days. Just leave it in primary for a couple of weeks before packaging. Maybe a little longer if a lager.

KB

A refractometer is easier to use for pre-boil and OG and they are much harder to break. Save your hydrometer for the final gravity reading as the refractometers do not give an accurate reading when alcohol is present. Mine matches the hydrometer reading when the wort is cooled prior to adding the yeast and can be used with boiling hot wort for a quick reading during the mash or boil and it only takes a couple drops to get the reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Wort-Wi...ocphy=9058237&hvtargid=pla-569678492319&psc=1

Latest posts

Back