ESB with Rye - input asked for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VicariousCynic

Reaction score
Have been brewing with a buddy who has been doing all grain for a decade. This is the first recipe that I have worked up. Please look at this and add your comments, questions and advice.

Will either being doing 11 gallons or 16.5. Here's the recipie for 5.5. Shooting for an OG of 1.050 in a system with around 70% efficiency.

81% Maris Otter (8.84 Lbs)
5% British Caramel 55 (.58 Lbs)
5% Brown Malt (.55 Lbs) - may be replaced with oven toased pale malt)
5% Rye (.68 Lbs) - takes it out of style, but should be tasty
2% Flaked Barley (.22 Lbs)
2% Flaked Maize (.21 Lbs)

For Hops - thinking of Willamette and Perle - haven't figured the adds yet.

Open to input on all of the above. Working with a single infusion mash system, looking at mashing at 151.

Comments, questions and advice - GO!

Firstly,if you want to know there is rye in the beer when you take a sup, 5% is notgoing to get you there. I would go with at least 15% and drop some , if not all of the brown and crystal, using the rye as speciality malt.
Perle as the late addition for sure.

Thanks badlee - not so much going for a rye flavor so much as an ESB with character. Close to style, but not spot on. Looking for the earthy funk in the hops - both the Perle and the willamette are descended from the earthy English strains I think. I swapped out the flaked barley for Simpsons Golden naked oats. Brewing on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back