ESB Partial-Mash advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivovar_Koucky

Reaction score
I'm working on an ESB to brew with some ale-loving friends next weekend. I usually stick to continental styles, so I'm not to sure how to proceed. I basically looked around and came up with this:

Malt
4.0 lbs. Maris Otter
2.0 lbs. Victory
0.5 lbs. Biscuit
3.3 lbs. Light or Extra-light LME
(Might use an equivalent amount of light DME)

Hops
1 oz. Northern Brewer - 60 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 30 min.
1 oz. EKG - 20 min.
1 oz. EKG - 10 min.

Any general comments would be appreciated. My main questions are the following:

1) Should I consider adding crystal to the malt? Usually I find crystal to add too much sweetness at the end, but I could be talked into adding/substituting up to say .5 lbs into the recipe.

2) Northern Brewer should be fine for bittering with this style right?

3) What about moving the EKG from 30-20-10 to 20-10-5 like you might do with saaz in a pilsner? I know it will bring down the bitterness, but if EKG is as good as people say will I get better aroma and flavor from it?

4) What about burtonizing? Is it a waste of time for a partial mash?

Any yeast suggestions would also be appreciated. I was probably just going to get S04, but I like a dry beer so if you anyone thinks that another strain would have good floculation and high attenuation I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

By the way, according to beercalculus.com:
beercalculus.com(estimated) BJCP
OG-1.058 1.048-1.060
FG-1.016 1.010-1.016
Color-10 SRM 6-18
Bitterness-46.3 IBU 30-50

Back