Erlenmeyer vs Round Bottom Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahB

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this question has been asked before but I've searched and couldn't find anything on it. I'm wondering why does everyone use an erlenmeyer style flask rather than any old round bottom flask for their starters? I can find round bottoms for cheap around here and am wondering if I could save a couple bucks by just using one of those....
Can anyone shine some light on the subject for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not going to lie. Everyone else was using an Erlenmeyer, so that's what I went with as well.

Flat bottom is easy to come by in most LHBS. Flat works best for a stirplate. Flat is stable. Flat can be used on conventional gas and electric stoves. These are the reasons most people choose to use the flat bottom flasks.

Sorry, I should clarify. The flasks actually have a flat bottom only with rounded sides, rather than sloping sides. So they would still sit flat, they just aren't the Erlenmeyer style... Anything wrong with that?

Sorry, I should clarify. The flasks actually have a flat bottom only with rounded sides, rather than sloping sides. So they would still sit flat, they just aren't the Erlenmeyer style... Anything wrong with that?

I dont have a good picture in my head of what you are proposing. Could you post a picture?

In general, to operate with a stir plate, you need a thin flat bottom that will give the stir bar good magnetic connection to the plate, An e-flask works best imho. Other containewrs could also work, but may need a sronger magnet to keep them from flinging the stir bar. Something like a commerncial pickle jar is notm flat on te bottom and has glass that is much thicker.

Besides, there's nothing like the sugar volcano that erupts when an e flask boils over. :)

Back