ERLENMEYER glass type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to get some stuff to be able to make starters for liquid yeast.

At my LHMS they have

ERLENMEYER , 2L / Glass - 9.50$
ERLENMEYER , 2L / BORSILICATE - 38.75$

I don't know what Borsilicate is. Is it worth is really? I read that it's more resistant to temperature fluctuation. I'd like to make my started on the stove with the ERLENMEYER directly, so I can save up time.

Do you guys use normal glass Erlenmeyer glass on the stove and throw them in a ice/water bath right after?

You'll want the Borosilicate type as that will be resistant to the thermal shock of heating/cooling, normal glass will shatter.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! You cannot put this glass (also known as Pyrex) in ice when it's hot! It will shatter, just like any other glass.

The fact that it's more resistant to thermal shock means you can boil water in it and put it directly on a burner. We do this all the time in the lab. It does NOT mean that you can put it from hot to cold or vice versa.

Also, Pyrex is harder than normal glass, so it's much sharper when it shatters, breaks, or chips. If it breaks or chips, don't touch it with your hands. It can give you wicked cuts. Always use a broom and dust pan to clean it up.

You can use it to cook and boil, but you have to wait for it to cool before putting it in ice. If it feels hot to the touch, don't put it in ice or cold water.

The video says to not put the flask on an electric stove top, which I have. So if I don't mind not using the flash on the stove, does normal glass is correct? Any reason I should still invest in pyrex?

I paid ~$10 on Amazon for my 2L borosilicate flask. This is the one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKI8XK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, but they are sold out at the moment. Look for another one on there, and get borosilicate. I go boil to ice bath with it all the time and have not had any issues. It made me a little nervous doing it the first time, but I got over it.

Please please please be careful with Pyrex. My motherinlaw unwisely used a pyrex dish to broil in the oven. She took the food out with tongs and left the pan in the oven and turned it off. When she went to get the dish later, the now room temp dish shattered in her hand, causing deep cuts and damage to tendons. She lost partial use of the hand, to the degree that she has to hold a tennis racket with her other hand now. Just treat Pyrex with extreme respect and dont assume it is indestructible.

Please please please be careful with Pyrex. My motherinlaw unwisely used a pyrex dish to broil in the oven. She took the food out with tongs and left the pan in the oven and turned it off. When she went to get the dish later, the now room temp dish shattered in her hand, causing deep cuts and damage to tendons. She lost partial use of the hand, to the degree that she has to hold a tennis racket with her other hand now. Just treat Pyrex with extreme respect and dont assume it is indestructible.

Under the broiler is different. Pyrex is not broiler safe and like you said results in violent shattering.

I have a borosilicate Erlenmeyer but boil my dme in a pan and ice bath it down to 100° before pouring into flask and continue ice bath to be on the safe side. Its just not worth the risk to me for the tiny amount of "time saved"

I was under the impression that at long as your ice bath is below the liquid level inside the erlenmeyer all would be well.

Just because people have gotten away with something does not mean it's safe. Basic lab safety practice dictates that we do not move from heat to ice water. That being said I do it - but I treat it as if it will blow up on me. Never let your guard down.

Being able to do that helps first of all reduce the time it takes to get a starter going, but also minimizes the time the starter passes through the "danger zone". Getting it down to pitching temp quickly helps avoid allowing other things to get a foot-hold.

You can use these on an electric burner by using one of those old wire hoop thigies that your grandparents had for their coffee pot. Here's an expensive one, but my grandfather bent up a wire hanger and it seemed to work:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VTRYX6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Latest posts

Back