Equipment Upgrade Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhammer

Reaction score
I have a current budget of $200.00 for brewing upgrades. I brew BIAB in a keggle and a Bayou Classic SQ 14. I also have a second bare bones keggle and an 8 gallon aluminum kettle.

I plan to move to 3 vessels in the future, but BIAB meets my current needs.
Which sounds like the best plan?

1.) Trick out the keggle (sight glass, thermometer and valve/diptube) and continue BIAB (waiting to upgrade the second keggle to a HLT in the future)

2.) Make a 10 gallon cooler mash tun, boil in the keggle and sparge with the 8 gallon kettle (waiting to upgrade the second keggle to a HLT in the future)

Thanks for the input

The first one. You might find that your BIAB setup will continue to perform just fine. If you want to move on to a 3-vessel system those upgrades won't go to waste.

Its hard to say with the information provided. Having any issues/hassles with maintaining your mash temps? If so, I'd go with the
cooler and either BIAB in that or do mashes with or without a bag.
Do you really need a sightglass? Nice to have, but it is one more thing to clean. Do you really need a built in thermometer? Putting a valve on the keggle would be a worthwhile upgrade.

To what Mirilis said, I completely agree. If you have only $200 and don't have fermentation temp control or an oxygen aeration setup, get that. These two items cost far less then my fancy single tier 3 vessel electric system, and made a much bigger improvement then the fancy "wort making" equipment.

Do you have fermentation temp control? If not I'd get that before I got anything else.. People get excited about wort production for blingy things but ppl make wort.. Yeast make beer. I'd make sure they did it well.. Just my $0.02

Fully agree. Whenever I have unplanned money I can spend on brewing, I ALWAYS look at cold-side first.

I currently use a swamp cooler and brew only ales. I have good success so far. I DO want to get a chest freezer and temperature controller in the future, but for $200.00 I don't think that is a reality. I want a new freezer (around $200.00) and the temp controller is around $100.00. Maybe I should just save the $200.00 until I can gain another $100.00.:fro:

STC-1000 temp controller is around $20 and you can score a chest freezer on craigslist, probably for under $100.

The aeration wand and regulator is also around $50.

I currently use a swamp cooler and brew only ales. I have good success so far. I DO want to get a chest freezer and temperature controller in the future, but for $200.00 I don't think that is a reality. I want a new freezer (around $200.00) and the temp controller is around $100.00. Maybe I should just save the $200.00 until I can gain another $100.00.:fro:

You can make a temp controller for about $50 and can get a chest freezer off of Craigslist for $50-$100.

But if you're squeamish about building stuff yourself and/or don't like buying used equipment, then save up the money. I think you'll be very happy to leave swamp coolers in the past.

I did the swamp cooler route for a while. It was erratic at best. It worked pretty well but was a PITA to keep the temperature steady and low enough.

I made a chamber out of 2x4's (culls at Home Depot), plywood that I already had, insulation foam, hinges, a hasp, minifridge and a Johnson A419 temperature controller. I don't think I spent too much more than $200. One of my best brewing investments.

IMG_0220_zpsf450b6a8.jpg

http://www.blackboxbrew.com/

Back