Equipment upgrade changing my brewing logistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Plan A (preferred)
I have upgraded my brewing equipment and need to figure out how to get my runnings into my new boil pot. Previously I would collect 7 1/2 gallons in my 8 gallon pot, and carry that to the burner. I cannot carry 12 gallons in my new 15 gallon keggle.

Can I: Mash indoors (winter), collect runnings into bucket and pour the wort into my brew kettle, or would this create an oxidation issue?

Plan B (no like)
mash outside on my deck and drain into my new kettle below.
I don't like this plan because my mash tun is a 30 year old Coleman cooler, and it does not retain heat well. I actually put kettlebells on the lid to keep it closed, and lose 3 to 4 degrees over an hour in the summer. I imagine the loss would be greater in the winter months.

This plan is really going to determine my winter brewing process.
Thanks for reading. Cheers.

I would collect into a fermenter bucket (or some other container), then carry that out to the keggle, then gently transfer it using a plastic pitcher into the keggle. After the first few pitchers, lower it and and then tip it to avoid aeration.
(I'm not sure how much aeration you would actually get by simply slowly pouring. Someone else might have advice based on 1st hand experience, but it only adds a few minutes to carefully transfer so I'd err on the side of caution until they say I'm all wet.)

You are due for a new cooler -- a cooler that is warmer! But I assume you must love your old cooler, so replacing it isn't preferred either.

I generally try to avoid hot side aeration, but some seem to think it's not a big problem. If it were me, I might try it and decide for myself. If you want to reduce the oxidation risk, you could drain from the bucket into your BK through a hose instead of pouring. You would need to lift a bucket of hot wort and set it on something higher than your BK, then wait for it to drain. That's similar to what I do with my mash tun. I set it up on a tier above the BK and drain.

For cold weather, I have considered building an insulated container to put my cooler in, but that seems a little nuts and unnecessary with a good cooler. I rarely brew below 40 F though.

I always collect my runnings in a bucket and pour it into the kettle. I haven't had an issue with HSA. There's been a lot of talk on if HSA really even matters in a home brewery.

You could pump from the mash tun to the kettle.

I used to drain from my cooler to my brew kettle with no tube - right out of the tap into the kettle. Plenty of splashing. I recently stopped doing this, and got a tube to use fearing HSA. I noticed no difference in the finished beer.

I agree with giving it a shot and seeing what happens. Worst case, just siphon it from the bucket to the kettle.

Plan A

Carry the first portion of your wort outside in your 15 gallon kettle. Carry the remainder in a bucket.

IMO, many other more important things to be concerned about than HSA.

I would not use a fermenter for unboiled wort as it contains lacto bugs that you don't need or want on your fermenter. Intentionally contaminating your fermenter is not good practice.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Latest posts

Back