Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schmoe said:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmAIvnTcDf4

So that isn't hitting someone? I get that it wasn't an intentional headshot and wasn't the initial point of contact, but he made no attempt at missing him.

He did hit him I was joking. Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the vernacular I was suppose to use after that comment to indicate this. Someone should bring me into the know.

I don't see a hit to the head at all. I see shoulder to shoulder and barely a bump, which leads to what looks like whiplash causing the skull to flip over toward the other player's shoulder. Foul breath might have done more damage.

Either way I am not saying it was a headshot or should be penalized as a headshot. What would a penalty on that be, interference?

You can't call a penalty for someone being a *****.

I get bumped harder than that in my no-contact men's league, where most guys don't even wear shoulder pads.

Either way I am not saying it was a headshot or should be penalized as a headshot. What would a penalty on that be, interference?

I didn't see a penalty...I saw incidental contact and a guy fell over like he took one on the chin from Mike Tyson. I didn't see the game, did he come back? Out for the game? Diagnosed with a concussion? I ask because if he was trying to draw a penalty, that's awful. It's as bad as Ovechkin barely getting bumped in the visor by a stick last night and going down to his knees, bent over backwards, almost in this position, head thrown back and all:

imgplatoon4.jpg

I'm calling unsportsmanlike on any player, every single time with that kind of flair and dramatics.

Just like the broadcasters in the Caps/Flyers game calling it a "solid veteran move" when a player grabs a defenders stick, tucks it under his arm, and clamps down it with the chicken wing to draw a hooking penalty. That's not a solid veteran move, it's f**cking cheating to create a penalty call that didn't exist.

I wouldn't mind seeing either the boarding call not made or a penalty on the player with the puck when he turns at the last second to face the boards, takes the boarding hit, and puts himself in that position.

I'd love to see guys just stop with the dramatics and play the damn game like men.

We get it, you're Canadian.

?? I'm a terrible hockey player.

You don't play hockey? Figured most people who watch hockey would play it in one form or another. I can't think of a sport I'd watch without actually wanting to do it on my terrible out-of-shape level.

But I guess it's cool to whine and dwell on a player collapsing after a tiny love-tap. A 9 year old girl could've handled that "hit". Dude needs to grow a pair - of ovaries.

I was just joking. My family never had the money for my siblings or I to play hockey, I can't ice skate but I have some hockey inline skates and a stick. Nobody around here plays inline hockey, though. I'm not sure how many around here even play rec league ice hockey above the peewee level.

Kadri with an incredible hat trick. I've been a fan of the kid since before he was even called up from the Marlies... always knew there was something special about him.

And the Leafs' other goal just gave JVR more goals so far this season than he had all of last season with Philly

?? I'm a terrible hockey player.

You don't play hockey? Figured most people who watch hockey would play it in one form or another. I can't think of a sport I'd watch without actually wanting to do it on my terrible out-of-shape level.

But I guess it's cool to whine and dwell on a player collapsing after a tiny love-tap. A 9 year old girl could've handled that "hit". Dude needs to grow a pair - of ovaries.

I play soccer. Family never had enough money to play hockey. I was going to start but then I hurt my knee and figured one sport was enough.

Not dwelling on the "hit". Hell I didn't think it looked like a penalty but all the local news was in uproar about the lack of calls in the third period.

And just because, Datsyuk

Last edited by a moderator:
Did not stay up for game last night. Unless they are played on a weekend, I just cannot stay up for west coast games. I'll be happy once the Wings move to the East and we can lose some of those sandman games.

I am right there with you on this one. These 10 and 10:30 games are rediculous.

Ridiculous. A Herculean effort (and results) by Kadri tonight and the Leafs lose a 2-goal lead and nearly pull a repeat of the Ottawa game (that is, giving up the game-winning goal within the last 30 seconds), but manage to hang on. And "hang" is exactly what I would have done to myself (a la DiPietro) if such a travesty had happened again.

And Phaneuf buries the OT game-winning, assuring they remain one of only 2 teams to not have a single OTL... how the Leafs continue to be so clutch in OT despite their massive tendency to choke in regulation remains a mystery.

Hell of a battle to the end... Great win for the bruins. Tukka has been playing awesome

Yep. Sens had no business being in a game against the bruins, yet they still manage a point. Gotta love the resiliency of this team.
And 44 saves for Lehner tonight, good for him,..but Anderson will be back this week so back to Bingo he goes.

The Northeast division is pretty ridiculous right now. Totally stacked, especially if you ignore Buffalo. Southeast, OTOH, is kind of an embarrassment right now... division leader sitting on a .500 record! :eek:

Man I am relieved Kadri managed to carry the Leafs tonight. An incredibly ugly game except for his effortless-looking goals. No doubt his back is killing him right now, but a win was ABSOLUTELY critical tonight. Reimer looked pretty rusty too... hopefully he'll be back to his pre-injury performance by Monday night. :eek:

Just realized how much the lockout has changed things. watching the Edmonton Dallas game right now and they flashed a graphic on screen - Jagr has 1660 career points.
Did some quick math and if he had not lost 5 seasons (3 khl,2 seasons from 3 lockouts) all he had to do is average a point a game in those seasons ( not unreasonable to assume) and he would have over 2000 career points.

This DET-SJ game is pretty good so far. Scoreless, but both teams making good plays on offense and defense, both goaltenders doing well.

Oh, now its 4v4 after Toots made a big hit and SJ got a goalie interference.

Is the ice in San Jose harder than most rinks? I know the Sharks have always been faster skaters than the Wings, but I also see Wings skaters falling as if they aren't used to the ice.

Crap, now we're in a shootout? I was doing well, drinking one beer for each period I got to watch (I got home from work during first intermission).

I'm halfway through my third beer and OT is over.

Should I finish this and grab another for the shootout? :drunk::tank:

And Brunner gets another shootout win for Detroit! Nice to see Gustavsson did well tonight, even if he let Zetterberg block a shot.

FYI - Ferris State is on tv twice this weekend. Friday night on CBSNS (or whatever...) and Saturday on Fox Sports Detroit. Just in case there are any other Bulldog fans looking to catch the last 2 regular season games for Ferris in the CCHA.

The Islanders/Leafs game went in to OT, and not a single penalty was called the entire game. I have never seen that before.

Southeast is where it belongs back before Ovie and the cats in Tampa were drafted/acquired. The SE has traditionally been awful and usually only sent the division winner to the playoffs by default.

Until last night, with Toronto playing their 22nd game, the Flyers schedule had been pretty brutal with the most games played. Seems at least two or three times this year they've played 3 in 4 nights.

Just a reminder, in case you guys hadn't heard, unbeaten streak is at 20 games. I'm thinking that if the streak goes to 24, the league should just cut the season even shorter and award them the Cup. Kinda like the "slaughter rule" in little league, makes sense to me. :D

Just a reminder, in case you guys hadn't heard, unbeaten streak is at 20 games. I'm thinking that if the streak goes to 24, the league should just cut the season even shorter and award them the Cup. Kinda like the "slaughter rule" in little league, makes sense to me. :D

Who? These guys?

Chicago 20 17 0 3

I'm pretty sure when you lose in OT you have been beaten. You can say this, but you have to use an asterisk and proper footnote. Unbeaten* Streak

*in regulation.

That is 35 games by the flyers. The hawks is most consecutive games with a point to start the season
Big difference. The hawks could be 0-0-20 and still have the record. not quite as impressive now is it

That's not what he said. Has Chicago won in a shootout this year?
Doesn't matter what he said.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2012020294&navid=nhl:topheads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_records_(team)#Streaks

Longest streak without a regulation loss to start the season
Overall: 20 games, by 2012–13 Chicago Blackhawks (17 wins, 3 otl)

I can't remember - nobody important really pays attention to the Western Conference anyway.

bill-duke-450x316.jpg

That is 35 games by the flyers. The hawks is most consecutive games with a point to start the season
Big difference. The hawks could be 0-0-20 and still have the record. not quite as impressive now is it

Umm, no, 0-0-20 isn't all that impressive outside of the fact that a team had lost in overtime 20 games in a row. What 0-0-20 team were we talking about again?

That's not what he said.

Actually, it is what I said. An "unbeaten" streak, as per NHL (or sports) lingo, refers to regulation. Call it what you will, 17-0-3 is an unbeaten streak, asterisk or no. :D How're the Leafs doing this year? Or the East? Top teams over there have -4 wins when compared to the Hawks. I'm just talkin' $hit, but really, as it stands today, there's really about one (1) team in the league worth mentioning night in and night out.

Umm, no, 0-0-20 isn't all that impressive outside of the fact that a team had lost in overtime 20 games in a row. What 0-0-20 team were we talking about again?

Actually, it is what I said. An "unbeaten" streak, as per NHL (or sports) lingo, refers to regulation. Call it what you will, 17-0-3 is an unbeaten streak, asterisk or no. :D How're the Leafs doing this year? Or the East? Top teams over there have -4 wins when compared to the Hawks. I'm just talkin' $hit, but really, as it stands today, there's really about one (1) team in the league worth mentioning night in and night out.

Please. There's a billion streaks that are tracked. Here's some "sports lingo" for you. I've bolded the important things to make it easy:

Streaks

Longest winning streak

Overall: 17 games, by 1992–93 Pittsburgh Penguins
Home : 23 games, by 2011–12 Detroit Red Wings
Away: 12 games, by 2005–06 Detroit Red Wings

Longest winning streak to start the season

Overall: 10 games, by 1993–94 Toronto Maple Leafs and 2006–07 Buffalo Sabres
Home: 11 games, by 1963–64 Chicago Black Hawks
Away: 10 games, by 2006–07 Buffalo Sabres

Longest undefeated streak to start the season

Overall: 15 games, by 1984–85 Edmonton Oilers (12 wins, 3 ties)

Longest streak without a regulation loss to start the season

Overall: 20 games, by 2012–13 Chicago Blackhawks (17 wins, 3 otl)

Longest streak without failing to gain a point (at least 1 point from ties, overtime losses or shootout losses)

Overall: 35 games, by 1979–80 Philadelphia Flyers (25 wins, 10 ties)

Home: 34 games, by 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens
Away: 23 games, by 1974–75 Montreal Canadiens

Longest losing streak

Overall: 17 games, by 1974–75 Washington Capitals and 1992–1993 San Jose Sharks
Home: 14 games, by 2003–04 Pittsburgh Penguins
Away: 38 games, by 1992–93 Ottawa Senators

Longest winless streak

Overall: 30 games, by 1980–81 Winnipeg Jets (23 losses, 7 ties)
Home: 17 games, by 1995–96 Ottawa Senators and 1999–2000 Atlanta Thrashers
Away: 38 games, by 1992–93 Ottawa Senators

Longest undefeated streak to end the season

Overall: 18 games, by 1992–93 Pittsburgh Penguins (17 wins, one tie)

Longest winning streak to end the season

Overall: 11 games, by 2005–06 New Jersey Devils

Now, what the Hawks are doing this year is impressive, but all of their bandwagon fans can still go suck a big fat one for all we care.

Latest posts

Back