Entering New Territory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainyDay

Reaction score
So I got a wild idea yesterday after talking to a buddy about cold crashing. I took all of the shelving out of my fridge and threw my pumpkin beer in there to cold crash! Being an apartment dweller I didnt think i'd be able to cold crash based on the lack of space, but if there's a will there's a way! This also means i'm going to be able to lager, assuming I dont have anything I need to put in my fridge during that time anyway :)

image-122893533.jpg

November could consist exclusively of frozen dinners to keep my fridge free :D

I used gelatin in the past, which is great for particles, but still got chill haze. Hoping this clears nicely.

Looks like you have room for another brew. Take advantage of your time witnout food and get another beer going.

That's the nice thing about having a spare refrigerator in the garage. I was using it for cold crashing until I got a temp controller, now it gets used for ferm temp and cold crashing.

I'd have to assume the OP does not live with a wife/GF/fiance. This would never fly...

+3

My wife got me a small fridge for my beer because it was taking up too much room in the main fridge. I wish she would have got a big fridge. Next step.

For the cold crashing vets; do you typically move the carboy to the counter and warm or leave in the fridge and siphon to the bottling bucket. Im thinking either way ill pull a little trub in just to make sure there's enough yeast in suspension. Anyone have strong thoughts either way? There seems to be some conflicting thoughts on the interwebs.

Just let it sit on the counter for a bit to allow anything stirred up while moving the carboy to settle. I wouldn't wait for it to warm. Don't pull extra trub, you'll just end up with more crap in your bottles.

Latest posts

Back