Entering Comp. Beer in wrong Cat.: Unethical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
So i just moved an IPA I brewed from primary to secondary and it is fantastic! I am extremely proud of it and will probably polish off the keg in a week.

I would like to enter it into a competition, but thats where the problem is. I used WL German Bock yeast and therefore it is not technically an IPA. I think it would probably slip by the judges knowledge if I didnt say anything but is this morally wrong? What if I win, did I steal a medal from someone who followed the rules?

I could always enter it in cat. 23 but I just dont think it would be that much different from an IPA to really stand out in the cat 23 crowd.

Perhaps I will just enter it anyway an see if any of the judges catch it...

If it will be judged as an IPA then I say go for it! Judging is on the product not the process... If it adheres to the style in taste and appearance etc... then it will score well!

Style guidelines are for taste, appearance, aroma, mouthfeel, alcohol content, etc. Certain yeast strains may lend themselves better to meeting certain guidelines, but you are by no means "cheating" by using something different - if your beer meets the style guidelines, what you put in it is irrelevant.

This is the beauty of homebrewing - the freedom to experiment as you see fit. Who knows? Perhaps you will start a movement that will influence future IPAs, or lead to a subcategory.

If it tastes like an IPA enter it as an IPA. Comps are blind to brewing process.
Here is an example I just got 2nd place in NHC SD region with a Scottish 80. WOO HOO.
Here are my beer's specs:
OG 1.061, IBU 22, SRM 15, FG 1.018, ABV 5.7%
I used 1056 American Ale yeast and Great Western American Pale Ale Malt not english or scottish yeast or base malt.
The style guide says:
OG 1.04-1.054 I was higher
FG 1.01-1.016 I was higher
ABV 3.9-5% I was higher

Back