Entering BS data after 1st BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I followed a couple of videos and setup my equipment and mash profile in beersmith 2. Yesterday was my first crack at BIAB. My mash temps and volumes where all spot on. I was guessing low for efficiency and it looks like it ended up around 80%. 1) Since I didn't do anything with ph, is it correct that the only data I enter into BS in the session tab for the brew day is pre boil volume, volume into fermenter and pre and post gravity? 2) Also, with BIAB, is post mash and preboil gravity the same thing?
Here's a screen shot.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495295357.042819.jpg

I followed a couple of videos and setup my equipment and mash profile in beersmith 2. Yesterday was my first crack at BIAB. My mash temps and volumes where all spot on. I was guessing low for efficiency and it looks like it ended up around 80%. 1) Since I didn't do anything with ph, is it correct that the only data I enter into BS in the session tab for the brew day is pre boil volume, volume into fermenter and pre and post gravity? 2) Also, with BIAB, is post mash and preboil gravity the same thing?
Here's a screen shot.
View attachment 401183

What you entered is correct. Only enter in the data you measured if you want the program to calculate the actual mash and brew house efficiency. Based on this, you can change your brew house efficiency to match the results. It would also appear that your boil off rate and grain absorption are just a little off, so you may want to recalculate those values if not for the next brew then the one after that if you repeat the 80% mash efficiency.

As for your second question, the values are the same unless you have some addition of water or sugars after the mash and before you start the boil.

Latest posts

Back