Entering a Homebrew Completion? Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
I've only entered one home brew competition. I've entered 2 beers in 2019, which happened to be my first few home-brews ever!

The official rating scale is out of 50 points. 40 points is EXCELLENT (like, it could literally be sold on store shelves) and 50 is.....world class perfection. Basically you're likely not to hit 50/50 as it's nearly impossible.

30 means that you made a "good" beer. Anything lower than 30 means that the beer is flawed in some way. That's the general gist of it.

My IPA, which I thought wan't that good as it was a last-ditch "whatever" entry, scored 33/50 on average. My Pale Ale scored a 36.5/50 on average, and also hit the "Mini BOS". I knew going in that my Pale ale tasted better, and I wasn't really happy with my IPA, so this is no surprise. However, this told me that my beers were at the minimum, "good" beers and my Pale Ale was good enough to brag a little about!

Curious as to how most people here plan for competitions. I'm about to enter the second round, and I believe that I'm going score higher than ever this time.

What my plan to hit 2020 strong is:

1) If you want to enter an IPA, then it better be damn good. I mean, it better taste world class. The problem is that most people's IPAs won't taste world class, and the competition is stiff in this area. Think twice about an IPA. Think twice about a Pale Ale, too. BUT....

What I'm doing this year is going straight experimental. But also, I'm going with recipes found on this exact forum. :)

This year, I am betting 100% on adding adjuncts to beer. Add some sort of addition that separates you out from the rest. Be different. This could be a very bad idea, but it could be the best idea ever too?

For this year, I am doing a Raspberry Lactose IPA, and for my second entry I'm doing the Lemon-Lime Hefe from the forum!

How do you plan for competitions?

If you're "in it to win it", there's an app for that a Homebrew Con 2017 presentation on that topic.

Participate in a couple of events (sign up to be a steward). Watch how mini-BOS and BOS tables work.

If you have a chance to show up for "bottle short" for a competitions (especially one of the NHC regional competitions), consider working in the "un-packaging" portion of the process.

For the beers that you enter, set aside a couple of bottles. Judge them yourself on the same day as the competition. When you get the score sheets back, taste the beers while reviewing the scoresheet.
Curious as to how most people here plan for competitions. I'm about to enter the second round, and I believe that I'm going score higher than ever this time.

If you enter the same beer in competitions often enough, you will brew a beer that scores 24/50 in one competition and 34/50 in an other. Judging not an exact science (like IBU estimates in recipe software).

If you are shipping bottles, be aware that you no longer have insights into "temperature control" while the bottles were shipped to the competition.

Judges are human, know where your beer was within their flight, palate fatigue may be a consideration in scores.
This year, I am betting 100% on adding adjuncts to beer. Add some sort of addition that separates you out from the rest. Be different. This could be a very bad idea, but it could be the best idea ever too?

For this year, I am doing a Raspberry Lactose IPA, and for my second entry I'm doing the Lemon-Lime Hefe from the forum!

Volunteer to steward at the tables for the categories those beers would go into. Pay attention to the competition rules to avoid possible conflicts of interest - for example, you may not be able to enter beers into categories that you steward.

Last edited:
Is your goal to win a category, or do you just want feedback? There are many
homebrewers that are very serious competitors and they have all the toys to make a beer shine.
Are you doing anything to manipulate your water chemistry? You can be darn sure that many others in the brewing competition game are doing that, so if you want to compete, at least minimally try to do something with your water.
If you are brewing an IPA for a competition you need to keep oxygen exposure to a minimum. Doing closed transfers, dialing in the carbonation in a keg and using a beer gun for bottling will help your beer score higher.
If you are stating on your entry that a beer has raspberry or lemon-lime, then those flavors need to be noticeable or you'll get points deducted.
If you can get some of the special malts now available from the small independent maltsters that have sprung up in the past few years, use them.
There's a good chance the judges will notice the difference.
Not all judging is fair or reasonable, so don't take either success or failure too seriously.
If your goal is to win a category, scale back your batch size, go for 2 or 2.5 gallons and keep re-brewing the same beer, in an effort to improve it each time.

Last edited:
Well, I think the goal is to win (or at least BOS it) and get feedback. Both of those things are nice!

I do manipulate my water chemistry.

For the "specialty IPA" category, I had to put in a description of why it deserves to be in that category. I typed something like "There is a fruit addition that gives it a beautiful deep color". I purposely did not mention "raspberries" (very obvious once you drink it). Is this a good approach? I decided not to say anything about "lactose" (although I do have enter is as an allergen).

The Hefe I just entered as a Witbier (there is no specialty category for Whitbier). I left the description "blank" for that. The Lemon Lime Hefe is obviously a hefe on a the nose (perfect balance of clove/banana), but it is super light and drinkable (even at 6% ABV). The finish taste however will immediately set off that there's lime or lemon in there. I figure it's best to just let that happen rather than describe it up front.

Basically, I'm following the idea that descriptions (which they warn you against NOT using to describe things) either blank (for the hefe) or very minimal if required (for the Raspberry Milkshake IPA).

Is this the right approach?

Well, I think the goal is to win (or at least BOS it) and get feedback.
Assuming the entry is shipped and handled well, a great score (35+) is all about the brewer.

Participate in a couple of events (sign up to be a steward). Watch how mini-BOS and BOS tables work. I've had pleasure of begin a steward at a table where it took a 42 to get to mini-BOS. IIRC, the low score for the table was 35.
For the "specialty IPA" category, I had to put in a description of why it deserves to be in that category. I typed something like "There is a fruit addition that gives it a beautiful deep color". I purposely did not mention "raspberries" (very obvious once you drink it). Is this a good approach? I decided not to say anything about "lactose" (although I do have enter is as an allergen).
Assuming Milkshake IPA is a subcategory for 21B (specialty IPA), I would mention raspberries.

Help the judges understand the beer before they taste it. Steward the various flavors beer tables for additional insights (hint: how many different oaked beers can you sample before palate fatigue sets in?)

Visualize a flight of 8 milkshake IPAs. Your beer is 7th of 8 in the flight. The first 6 don't provide descriptors, so I have to determine if flavors have been added to each beer. As #7 in the flight, you declare raspberry (use the rules to help me understand the beer before I taste it) and I like raspberries. Your beer may be the bright spot in my flight.
Basically, I'm following the idea that descriptions (which they warn you against NOT using to describe things) either blank (for the hefe) or very minimal if required (for the Raspberry Milkshake IPA).
Help me out here - this is a double negative: "They warn you against NOT using to describe things" - which suggests using descriptions. Are you ignoring their advice to use descriptions?

So far I have entered 4 and won 2; one BCJP and one people’s choice. I haven’t entered an IPA yet, although it is one of my favorite styles, I just think it has become to ubiquitous. The BCJP feed back has always been very helpful. I think what helped me on the ones I won was that I brewed something not as common, the BCJP one was a smoked lager, and the People’s choice was a Coffee Porter. I don’t usually make the beer with the intent to enter a competition but often enter something I already made when I hear of one.

The Hefe I just entered as a Witbier (there is no specialty category for Whitbier). I left the description "blank" for that. The Lemon Lime Hefe is obviously a hefe on a the nose (perfect balance of clove/banana), but it is super light and drinkable (even at 6% ABV). The finish taste however will immediately set off that there's lime or lemon in there. I figure it's best to just let that happen rather than describe it up front.

The hefe is questionable... Problem is that if you enter it as a hefe, the lemon/lime might be seen as not to style. If you enter it as a fruit beer, if the lemon/lime is really restrained it might not stand out.

Can you also enter it in the fruit beer category? Try it in both. Maybe the hefe judges won't like it but it'll shine to the fruit beer category judges?

So far I have entered 4 and won 2; one BCJP and one people’s choice. I haven’t entered an IPA yet, although it is one of my favorite styles, I just think it has become to ubiquitous. The BCJP feed back has always been very helpful. I think what helped me on the ones I won was that I brewed something not as common, the BCJP one was a smoked lager, and the People’s choice was a Coffee Porter. I don’t usually make the beer with the intent to enter a competition but often enter something I already made when I hear of one.

IPA is a brutal category. There are tons of entries and a lot of them are made by real experts.

If you want medals, your better bet is to aim at some of the lesser-entered categories.

But if IPA is your style, enter your IPAs too. It's typically only $5-8 and two bottles per entry, so you're not out much to get feedback.

What I'm doing this year is going straight experimental. But also, I'm going with recipes found on this exact forum. :)

I have only entered one competition in the last 10 years. I have only judged informally for my homebrew club competitions. So I am not an expert in this category...but...

I feel like competition are best suited for beers brewed to a specific style (Kolsch, English Porter, IPA, Irish Red, etc.). If you start adding adjuncts/spices/flavors to beers then you have two choices. Enter them into the style and get docked because the flavors are not appropriate for the style, or enter them into one of the Specialty/Spiced categories. Those categories are a crap shoot that can involve more preference from the judges who might not like Cranberry Mint as much as you do. You will also be going head to head with 12% Spiced Imperial Stouts and 3 year old sours.

Here's some more exact wording and how I entered. I assume it's common BJCP stuff. Could use guidance. I can go back in and edit stuff.

---------------------------------------

Specialty IPA (21B) = Raspberry IPA Milkshake. I'd say that this is the correct spot for it, although you could argue it could be in "fruit beer" also. The problem is that if it's in Fruit Beer, it's going to also unmistakably be an IPA as well (IBU, as well as Citra smell). Hard to say.

Required Info:

"Entrant must specify a strength (session: 3.0-5.0%, standard: 5.0-7.5%, double: 7.5-9.5%); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed. Entrant must specify specific type of Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style Guidelines, or as amended by the BJCP web site; or the entrant must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal characteristics of newer hops. Entrants may specify a combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA) without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American or English IPA) - except where an existing BJCP subcategory already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA). Currently Defined Types: Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, Red IPA"

Entry: "Standard Strength (6.6%). This is an IPA that is made with a particular fruit giving it a beautiful deep color."

Optional Info:

"Not Required. Add information here that is detailed in the style guidelines as a characteristic that you MAY declare"

Entry: None

Brewer's Specifics:

"Not Required. Provide ONLY if you wish the judges to fully consider what you write here when evaluating and scoring your entry. Use to record specifics that you would like judges to consider when evaluating your entry that you have NOT SPECIFIED in other fields (mash technique, hop variety, honey variety, fruit variety, etc).

-------------------------------------------------

Weissbier (10A) = Lemon-Lime Hefe. I think this is the best spot for it because 90% of the taste/smell is a Hefe, although it's very light with a moderate blast of lime towards the end. Other option is a fruit beer, but the hefe flavor and smell will dominate it too much IMO.

Brewer's Specifics:

"Not Required. Provide ONLY if you wish the judges to fully consider what you write here when evaluating and scoring your entry. Use to record specifics that you would like judges to consider when evaluating your entry that you have NOT SPECIFIED in other fields (mash technique, hop variety, honey variety, fruit variety, etc).

Could use guidance.

Lemon-Lime Hefe as Weissbier (10A): based on my observations as a steward, I wouldn't enter it here unless flavors are specifically mentioned in the style guide.

Raspberry IPA Milkshake as Specialty IPA (21B): see what I said in reply #5.

I feel like competition are best suited for beers brewed to a specific style (Kolsch, English Porter, IPA, Irish Red, etc.). If you start adding adjuncts/spices/flavors to beers then you have two choices. Enter them into the style and get docked because the flavors are not appropriate for the style, or enter them into one of the Specialty/Spiced categories. Those categories are a crap shoot that can involve more preference from the judges who might not like Cranberry Mint as much as you do. You will also be going head to head with 12% Spiced Imperial Stouts and 3 year old sours.

This is good, but partial, summary of what I learned about competitions while stewarding.

Here's some more exact wording and how I entered. I assume it's common BJCP stuff. Could use guidance. I can go back in and edit stuff.

---------------------------------------

Specialty IPA (21B) = Raspberry IPA Milkshake. I'd say that this is the correct spot for it, although you could argue it could be in "fruit beer" also. The problem is that if it's in Fruit Beer, it's going to also unmistakably be an IPA as well (IBU, as well as Citra smell). Hard to say.

Required Info:

"Entrant must specify a strength (session: 3.0-5.0%, standard: 5.0-7.5%, double: 7.5-9.5%); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed. Entrant must specify specific type of Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style Guidelines, or as amended by the BJCP web site; or the entrant must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal characteristics of newer hops. Entrants may specify a combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA) without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American or English IPA) - except where an existing BJCP subcategory already exists for that style (e.g., double [American] IPA). Currently Defined Types: Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA, Red IPA"

Entry: "Standard Strength (6.6%). This is an IPA that is made with a particular fruit giving it a beautiful deep color."

Optional Info:

"Not Required. Add information here that is detailed in the style guidelines as a characteristic that you MAY declare"

Brewer's Specifics:

-------------------------------------------------

Weissbier (10A) = Lemon-Lime Hefe. I think this is the best spot for it because 90% of the taste/smell is a Hefe, although it's very light with a moderate blast of lime towards the end. Other option is a fruit beer, but the hefe flavor and smell will dominate it too much IMO.

Brewer's Specifics:

Enter it under 29A Fruit Beer, don't make my same mistake! I entered a Peach Mango Milkshake IPA under 21B Specialty IPA and part of the both of the BJCP certified judge's noted "its mis-entered - it should be in 29A because of the fruit addition" and "would do better as a fruit beer". I scored a 29.5/50, likely because anything under 30 is ineligible to medal, and they are not going to give a medal to a beer that was entered in the wrong category.

So I should enter them both into the fruit beer category?

looks like I can’t.

Brewers are not limited to one entry in each category but may only enter each subcategory once.

I could do the IPA in a 29A and the Limon Lime Hefe into 29c, or vice versa?

IPA has 5.25lbs of raspberries and .3lbs of lactose (5 gallons)

Lemon lime hefe has .5oz lime and 1/2 gallon of Limeaid (5 gallons)

Last edited:
As some others have said in this thread, if your goal is just to win, you should not be entering IPAs (unless your IPAs are phenomenal). You have a much better shot at placing in a category that not as many people enter (saison, Belgian ale etc.).

I would also suggest you not try to make your beer "stand out" with weird ingredients and make it stand out by being clean and to style. I have judged and entered dozens of competitions and, while I have had success with some over the top IPAs, the beers that I consistently do the best in (category and BOS winners) are my clean lagers that are brewed specifically to style. As a judge, a cleanly fermented beer that hits all the style points stands out for more of what it doesn't have (esters, off flavors, harsh bitterness etc) than by what off the wall ingredients the brewer throws in it.

As far as other tips to win: I never enter competitions I need to ship beer to (NHC 2nd round being the only exception) because you don't know how your beer will be handled in shipping. I bottle all my entries from the keg and take great pains to ensure everything is sanitary and as oxygen free as possible (purge your bottles before filling!). Make sure your carbonation levels are appropriate for the style as over or undercarbing a beer really makes a difference in its aroma, appearance and flavor. Plan your brew days around the competition to ensure beers like IPAs are relatively fresh while stronger beers or lagers have adequate time to condition before they will be judged.

If you are just starting out, you may want to focus less on winning and more on getting feedback to improve your beers. Once you are consistently making quality beer, to style, you can start focusing on collecting as many ribbons/medals as you can!

As some others have said in this thread, if your goal is just to win, you should not be entering IPAs (unless your IPAs are phenomenal). You have a much better shot at placing in a category that not as many people enter (saison, Belgian ale etc.).

This is true, but this is also exactly why I am not entering an "IPA", but a Fruit beer. I learned that from last years competition. Making an excellent IPA is very hard, especially with as much competition as there is.

What I need help on now is post #14. I cannot enter twice into the same sub category. So I'm trying to determine which one of my beers to place to 29A and 29C, and could use some help on that!

There will only be 50 beers. Judges reserve right to collapse categories (which I can almost guarantee that they will do).

38 is a really good score, that's not an "only" thing. That means a "excellent" beer. :)

My last IPA (which was a "basic" one) scored a 33 (I wasn't very happy with it), and my Pale Ale scored a 36.5 (I was happy with it). I saved and laminated the feedback sheets. My Pale hit mini-BOS.

This is true, but this is also exactly why I am not entering an "IPA", but a Fruit beer. I learned that from last years competition. Making an excellent IPA is very hard, especially with as much competition as there is.

What I need help on now is post #14. I cannot enter twice into the same sub category. So I'm trying to determine which one of my beers to place to 29A and 29C, and could use some help on that!

There will only be 50 beers. Judges reserve right to collapse categories (which I can almost guarantee that they will do).

Enter the IPA as a 29c (Specialty Fruit Beer) because of the addition of lactose. Enter the Hefe as a 29a (Fruit Beer).

38 is a really good score, that's not an "only" thing. That means a "excellent" beer. :)

My last IPA (which was a "basic" one) scored a 33 (I wasn't very happy with it), and my Pale Ale scored a 36.5 (I was happy with it). I saved and laminated the feedback sheets. My Pale hit mini-BOS.

You're right. I would just think a medalling beer would score just a bit higher!

I wouldn't be too focused on the actual score. My German Pils only scored a 38 at the NHC Finals in 2019. It took the silver medal.

You're right. I would just think a medalling beer would score just a bit higher!

I do think it's valid to not focus so much on the score. Different judging panels will generally be "easier" or "tougher" when it comes to their scoring ranges.

I've had beers score in the low 40s and not medal (not even honorable mention, which some competitions do). While one way to take that might be that my beer was superb but there were three absolutely otherworldly beers in the category. Another way to take that would be that the judges were scoring beers a little too generously that day.

If you want to score well in competition, brew the beer to style, don’t try to be different. You will score poorly in an ipa category if you add lactose and raspberry. Just being honest. Same with your hefe. They don’t score based on how good a beer is, your flavored beers may be awesome, they only care how well to style

That's why there are "specialty" styles and "fruit" styles. :)
There are but please review the description of each category within the style. IMHO They don’t fit the beer you are planning on brewing. But again it’s your beer, your entry fee, and you’re tasting them so you’ll know if they are meeting that guideline.

Here’s a little of my own personal experience, I mistakenly entered a NEIPA as a 21a American ipa. Scored a 26 but got great comments on it like “great flavor and aroma for NEIPA but judged as American ipa”. I also entered a black ipa in the same competition but entered it correctly 21d. Black ipa. This beer was not close to as good as the NEIPA but scored a 39 because it was brewed and scored to style

That's why there are "specialty" styles and "fruit" styles. :)

I would say that it depends a lot on why you are entering a competition. If you have a kick ass specialty beer that you think will place/win, then go for it. If you want just honest feedback on your brewing process, then a standard category will likely provide more useful info.

There can also be a difference between brewing beer that you and your friends enjoy to drink, and brewing a beer that will win a competition. I enjoy a 4.8% Porter, a Oatmeal Stout/Porter that does not fit a category, and Pale Ales/IPA that are on the medium hoppy level. These are just not beers that will win in competitions, unless they are very well made.

I am thinking of ramping up my competition focus (I brew a lot for my informal club competitions). I guess my goal is to get a better measure of the quality of my beers with a goal to complete for medals. I have been focusing on a core set of recipes that I feel fit a style. Several of these I have brewed 2-3 times in the last 16 months to nail down a recipe. I am eyeing a local competition with an English Porter, Dark Milk, and Trappist Single...I might throw in a recent NEIPA just for feedback.

Cancelled due to Covid-19. :(

I did however manage to drop off the beer to one judge, so I’ll at-least get some feedback.

most have been told me thus far that it surpasses what people expect as a “home brew”, but we’ll see.

I am eyeing a local competition with an English Porter, Dark Milk, and Trappist Single...I might throw in a recent NEIPA just for feedback.

Same for me. I had bottles for 4 beers ready to go for a comp (with some extras to sample when I got my results), and, as expected, it was cancelled. I also have a Chipotle Porter on tap brewed for a club comp that will not happen and ingredients for what was going to be my May club entry.

I did learn that it is nice having bottles of beers around for prior beers. I might make it a routine to bottle off a 6 pack off each keg just to have more variety of homebrew around.

Cancelled due to Covid-19. :(

I did however manage to drop off the beer to one judge, so I’ll at-least get some feedback.

most have been told me thus far that it surpasses what people expect as a “home brew”, but we’ll see.
That sucks that your comp got cancelled. The 30th annual Hudson ValleyHome Brew competition I most recently entered didnt cancel. They just closed to the public and had the judges meet in a undisclosed place to complete it.

A judge told you that? That awful that he’s knocking hbers like that. My homebrew easily surpasses 90% of commercial beers. That’s probably true for most of us I would think. That’s the whole reason we are brewing our own, because it’s better than what’s available.

No, my friends (tasters) have told me that these two beers/recipes are indistinguishable from store-bought beers. I feel pretty good about them and I agree (and I'm very hard on myself).

The judge happily took them, but I have yet to hear from him yet.

The homebrew comp is the same as yours (private place only), but even then it still got cancelled. You cannot meet with more than 10 people, regardless if it's public or private. So yea, I'm shocked that yours didn't cancel too.

I still need to go pick up the beers I entered and get my fees back. Really sucks that this got cancelled. All of 2020 got cancelled for me.

Back