Enigma Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to get a Brut IPA going soon, and the recipe suggestion I have calls for a 2oz whirlpool addition of Enigma for 20min. I'm having trouble locally sourcing Enigma, so I was hoping someone had some experience with possible substitutes. I've never used Enigma before, so considering the style regarding a fruity, dry ale, I was considering Hallertau Blanc or El Dorado for this whirlpool addition.

Anyone have experience with these in this context? Possibly suggest a substitute? Thanks, y'all!

You can get Enigma at YVH, but at a price. There's a little placement graph on the bottom, it appears to be in the same flavor/aroma region as Galaxy, Topaz, Vic Secret. Even Cascade.

@MGamber's suggestion may be on the right track.

In general, with mixed hops, you can easily replace one with something similar. I wouldn't sweat it, there are so many variables you have no control over, a slight deviation in any direction pales to those in comparison. You may well end up with something even better.

Enigma is pretty unique. Granted, I used it once in an IPA, where it was around 50% of the hop bill, but man, was it intense. It is very, very fruit-forward. I think Nelson Sauvin and Barbe Rouge ( rare, french hops ) would do the trick. More Barbe Rouge than Nelson, that is.

Back