English pale ale over carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpfeil8484

Reaction score
Hey everyone tried another one of my English pale ales today. They taste great but have been over carbed, and I mean as soon as beer hits glass bam massive foam. They have been bottled for a month, I did a 5 gallon batch and used 5oz of prim sugar. Now today the foam wasn't as bad but I notice little orange specks sticking to the side of the glass is this sign of an infection? The beer does taste good just a little curious
Thanks

If it tastes good, it's unlikely to be an infection - or at least an infection you care about.

As an aside, there seems to be a fixation going around on getting the exact amount of carbonation you want. If you're carbonating naturally, that's going to be tricky.

Have they been cold for at least 24 hours? Cold water holds more CO2 than warm. The extra gas sits in the headspace and takes a little while to absorb back in when you chill them.

Did you actually bottle a full 5 gallons? Most likely not. You over carbonated.

A good rule of thumb is .75-1oz/gallon of finished beer for 2.3-2.5 vol of Co2

Weigh your priming sugar and don't assume a 5o pack has exactly 5oz of sugar in it either.

Just pour slow, enjoy the beer and learn for next time

Back