English Best Bitter Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently entered a Best Bitter in a local competition and while it scored reasonably well, it got dinged mightily by both judges for not being carbed well enough. I bottled off my keg which I serve at around 1 volume which is fine for keg/cask.

I know bottled beers of this style are more highly carbonated than their counterparts in kegs and casks so I'm assuming that I should be aiming for that higher level of carbonation for competition purposes?

1 volume is right in the range for this beer. Did you lose too much carbonation in bottling, or did the judges not understand the style?

Could be either -

There wasn't much carbonation TO lose ;) I guess that's possible though. I was quite surprised at the dings on carbonation to be honest - I had enough of the real deal growing up in the UK to know how a Bitter is supposed to taste - quite flat and full of wonderful flavours! Oh, well... I'll continue to brew them the way I like and if I submit to competition, I'll bump up the carbonation for that batch.

Back