Energy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
I want to do an EnergyPA, with 5 hour energy pomegranate. I think the bitter taste of caffeine will add nicely to an IPA, and the pomegranate I can hide with citra hops. How does this recipe look for 3 gallons?

DISCLAIMER: I know all about caffeine and alcohol mixing, just looking for advice on the recipe/idea :)

.5 lb carmel malt 40L
.5 lbs biscuit malt
3.3 lbs Pilsen LME
1 lbs pilsen DME
.5 ounces chinook @ 60
1 ounce centennial @ 5
.5 ounces citra @5
.5 ounces chinook dry hop
.5 citra dry hop
4 pomegranate 5-hour energy in secondary
-that's 800 mg of caffeine, or about 25 mg per bottle which is about the same amount in ice tea, or coffee stouts.

Any ideas on how this looks?

Why don't you try adding the energy drink to a commercial Pale/IPA first at the ratio you are proposing and see how it tastes? Then if it tastes bad you can trash the whole idea, or move forward if you like it.

While I don't really understand the desire for caffeinated beer, if you're just interested in the bitterness from the caffeine and hoping to hide the pomegranate taste, why not just use pure caffeine?

Back