Empty propane tanks for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrhoads

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried this.
As far as I know, they are stainless steel. Dealing with a lid might prove difficult.
I'm having a hard time sourcing used/new kegs in eastern Canada with a decent shipping rate. Opinions?

For use as a kettle or something? You might have better luck looking for used dairy tanks, if there is a farm or dairy in your area.

My biggest concern would be cutting them open. There will most likely be residual propane and could/probably would cause an explosion. If you could remove the full valve and stem before cutting I don't see it as a problem for the boil, but I would be wary.

I wouldn't bother with it. Some of them are steel and some of them are aluminum. I don't know what size tank you have, but a 20-lb tank doesn't have that much volume. Then there may be residual liquid propane. I have no idea how easy/difficult that would be to remove.

I don't know how Amazon works in Canada, but I know that they have the Bayou Classic kettles for a decent price with free Prime shipping here in the US. I would probably just go with one of those instead of fooling around with an empty propane tank. Another option might be to find a used 1/2 barrel keg locally and turn it into a keggle.

People use them all the time for smokers. Most (if not all?) are regular cold rolled steel. If you choose to go this route, make sure you relieve (bleed) all gases, remove top and finally burn them out...meaning to burn out all the residual gases by using a fire. Go to www.smokingmeatforums.com and search propane tanks on what is considered the safe way to burn off gases.

I agree with the others, I cannot see the advantages over ordering a cheap aluminum (or enamel) pot given all the work that has to be expended?

Cheers,

Brett

284f76ed4943f485dbcb6ea330becf69389acdd58ba9622755df3bb7b17c9077.jpg

Back