Element under false bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
I want to make the switch to BIAB electric. I make 10 gal batches. According to BeerSmith I need at least 16-17 gal pot to do single vessel BIAB for my batches. What I was thinking was getting a 20 gal pot. The pot would have a port in the bottom for draining. Another port in the bottom and one in the top to do a recirculating mash. And finally a third port in the bottom with a tri clover attachment for the element.
Looking online I don’t see a lot of false bottoms that will fit on top of an element. Naturally I would want the element below the false bottom to prevent bag scorching. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? I’m pretty sure this design would work.
IMG_7830.JPG

Here’s a terrible drawing of what I was thinking.

Are you going to be indoors and venting? I wonder if you could get away with a 15GA kettle, and use the steamslayer? Much less boil off so I imagine you could get away with less water to start with? Love to see what others have to say about it.

Are you going to be indoors and venting? I wonder if you could get away with a 15GA kettle, and use the steamslayer? Much less boil off so I imagine you could get away with less water to start with? Love to see what others have to say about it.

Brewing outdoors so not needed.

I used a BrewHardware false bottom yesterday and it worked great. I have a basket with legs to keep it off the element but after the mash, I put the false bottom in to make sure the chiller stayed off the element after the boil was done. I'm actually thinking I'll use a bag next time and leave the false bottom in the whole time.

Yeah I have a jaded immersion chiller and I was wondering if that would damage the heating element.

I use one of brewhardwares BIAB false bottoms and they work awesome to keep the bag off the elements.

Yes, it's extremely common these days.

It seems like with the wide holes on that false bottom would make recirculating mash a breeze! I read a lot on here about biab guys who crush too fine and have trouble recirculating. I was worried that a brewbag plus a fine mesh false bottom would give me trouble.

Back