Element location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon SS BrewTech kettle that I would like to keep using snd not have to purchase a new kettle or punch a new hole in. I’m looking at a BrewBuilt Slingblade element. Is there any reason I wouldn’t want to install the element in the port just above the drain valve on my kettle? It would be several inches off of the bottom of the kettle.

As long as it's always submerged it really doesn't matter where it sits.

I've noticed that there are VERY little convective currents below the heating element. My temperature sensor that is an inch below the element can read WAY below the temperature above the element.

So, I would suggest getting the element as low as possible in the kettle.

I don't even know if the OP was planning to use a controller and if so, if it would be temp control or just boil control in which case a probe wouldn't be used. With the phrase "not have to....punch a new hole" I assumed there would be no temp probe.

I don't even know if the OP was planning to use a controller and if so, if it would be temp control or just boil control in which case a probe wouldn't be used. With the phrase "not have to....punch a new hole" I assumed there would be no temp probe.

Ah I see. I don't know his exact setup or intent either. So maybe my comments don't help him. But maybe others?

Thank you for the informative replies. I do not plan to start out with a controller. This will be a boil kettle only, so no temp probe. Cheers!

Thank you for the informative replies. I do not plan to start out with a controller. This will be a boil kettle only, so no temp probe. Cheers!

Unfortunately that's not going to work out too well. With 4500 watts, once you reach boil it's going to basically eject the wort out of the pot in a huge boilover. You need a way to turn the power down.

Absolutely you need a way to throttle down the power to the element. If you do not, you will make this mistake once.

The least expensive way to do this, that i know of is with an SSVR.

Off the shelf, Blichmann has a product reasonably priced at ~$150.

Back