Element keg hole size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
Something I'm not quite getting about my conversion...

The elements (lets say 5500 ripple everyone loves) require 1 1/4" hole for the element itself to wiggle through.

I'm using Bobby's TC integrated elements which are already welded to a 1.5" TC fitting. SOOOO...should my hole be 1 1/2" wide since a 1 1/2" ferrule needs to be welded to the keg?

I still see 1 1/4" as the usual size.

You need a hole to fit whichever TC flange fitting you are using. Probably slightly larger than 1.25". I imagine it would be closer to 1.5".

BTW, Bobby has a weldless 1.5" TC flange fitting now. I'm sure it says what hole size it needs on his site.

Yeah i think it really depends on how you're attaching the TC to the kettle. I used the radius faced solder flange, and drilled a 1-3/8'th hole, you can do 1-5/8ths if it makes you happy, but my step bit didnt go that high. The solderless threaded flange I believe needs a 1-5/8th hole, and the welded option... well i'm not a welder.. :)

Did you purchase the 1.5" TC ferrule? Just a suggestion with using the ripple elements: Although the element can fit through the 1.5 inch TC, go with a 2" one instead. It will make installing the ripple element and removing it MUCH easier without the worry of scraping against the inner diameter of the TC.

I bought the 1.5" ferrule and the element with integrated TC flange because I wanted a "better" fit than the weldless nut and thread option. Seems to me it'd be cleaner.

I know a guy who welds who can help me out with welding it to the keg. (I'm doing two, one keggle and one concord stainless pot).

I assume a 1.5" hole since you're welding surface to surface.

The smaller the hole the better. ( are we still talking about brewing?) sorry my mind went somewhere else.

My concern with a smaller hole (whether valid or not) is gunk getting stuck in there like in the boil kettle.

If the hole's 1 1/4" and the ferrule is 1.5" then .25" of space where the element is sandwiched between the flange and keg wall won't circulate well and could get nasty. It could be cleaned of course, but if the ferrule flowed perfectly with the keg wall then hosing it out from above would usually do the job no?

I also don't know what the welding process requires in terms of space allowance.

ok got this response from Brewhardware today.
"The TC integrated element itself doesn't work in any given hole size. It's mounted to the kettle via the 1.5" Triclover flange using a gasket and clamp. This requires that you have a matching flange on the kettle.

You can weld a 1.5 ferrule on. This requires a 1-1/2" hole and a good welder.
You can solder a 1.5 radius face flange on. This requires a 1-3/8" hole.
You can install the weldless flange. This requires a 1-5/8" hole.

The other option is to use any of our threaded elements and the Hotpod EWL3 kit which only requires a 1-1/4" hole"

The guy I know who welds doesn't do stainless. I might end up returning it for a flange and silver solder it instead. Dang. Any drawbacks between the flat flange style vs ferrule?

The guy I know who welds doesn't do stainless. I might end up returning it for a flange and silver solder it instead. Dang. Any drawbacks between the flat flange style vs ferrule?

If you are going to solder, the radiused flange style is the best option. The larger contact area will provide a stronger joint.

Brew on :mug:

well I'm calling around Kent and Renton to see if anyone will do a small job welding these on. If it's under 100 bucks then I'll do it. That'll be worth the time and stress learning to solder it. Plus I'm swamped with other home projects so the less on my mind, the better

well I'm calling around Kent and Renton to see if anyone will do a small job welding these on. If it's under 100 bucks then I'll do it. That'll be worth the time and stress learning to solder it. Plus I'm swamped with other home projects so the less on my mind, the better

Check with Larry's Brew Supply in Tukwila. They used to have a guy who could weld stainless, but I don't know if he's still around.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back