Elegant Collar Pass Through Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotbfan

Reaction score
Working on my keezer collar tomorrow, and I am going to move my 20# co2 tank outside to make room for two more kegs. Has anyone got any sweet/interesting solutions to getting the tubing through the sides of the wood while maintaining either good insulation characteristics, or outstanding levels of "awesomeness" that would make me not care so much about keeping the cold in?

Thanks in advance.

Not elegant but drill a hole (fairly tight) to fit a portion of oversized tubing with an ID that matches the OD of your gas out. Fit your gas out line through this tubing. Used this on the garage fridge a number of times.

Not to worry about insulating and it stops chafing (and everyone hates chafing).

Elegant would be to use this trick and pipe it in from underneath the keezer...clean, out of sight.

Good luck!

Drill a hole and then just make sure to insulate your collar with some sheet foam insulation.

i used a shank with MFL to pinlock adapters, so i can just jumper the CO2 line using the regular pinlock connector to the collar. inside the collar it goes MFL fitting to my gas line manifold. make swapping tanks easy.

i used a shank with MFL to pinlock adapters, so i can just jumper the CO2 line using the regular pinlock connector to the collar. inside the collar it goes MFL fitting to my gas line manifold. make swapping tanks easy.

all of the above are great, especially the sock, but I was hoping you may have a picture of your shank with the pin connectors handy? What was your source for the mfl to pinlock adapters, hoping that they have them in ball lock... or did you find a ffl to ffl dohickey?

Thanks

Working on my keezer collar tomorrow, and I am going to move my 20# co2 tank outside to make room for two more kegs. Has anyone got any sweet/interesting solutions to getting the tubing through the sides of the wood while maintaining either good insulation characteristics, or outstanding levels of "awesomeness" that would make me not care so much about keeping the cold in?

Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to send the HP or LP line though the collar?

use a gas bulkhead. done many times by many people. search the "show me your kegorator" thread.

-=jason=-

Are you trying to send the HP or LP line though the collar?

lp, i have secondaries inside that I need to feed is all.

as for "gas bulkhead", it only comes up once or twice on the search bar, that was the first thing i checked... which led to the 4" model some places sell, trouble is i need one about 1" long as it is only going through a 1X10. the most common thing I have found in the mega thread is "shove it through and insulate it" which is a little rougher than I was hoping for.

bascially you just need a threaded nipple with what ever connections the co2 tank uses. I have no idea what size or what they are called, perhaps a local welding shop has what you need

but I'd go with:
nipple through collar and have a washer / nut on both sides
then hook up from there

-=jason=-

seems that might be the simplest way to do it, just get a short shank and a couple of tail pieces. thanks! sometimes it amazes me how simple things elude me.

lp, i have secondaries inside that I need to feed is all.

as for "gas bulkhead", it only comes up once or twice on the search bar, that was the first thing i checked... which led to the 4" model some places sell, trouble is i need one about 1" long as it is only going through a 1X10. the most common thing I have found in the mega thread is "shove it through and insulate it" which is a little rougher than I was hoping for.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_46&products_id=2262

That one is 2 7/8" long, which is made for a wall thickness of 1 1/8" ... so it should be perfect for you.

i am having a hard time conceptualizing that, does the gas qd slip down over the threads on that adapter?

Plug%20adaptor-short.jpg

i am having a hard time conceptualizing that, does the gas qd slip down over the threads on that adapter?

Plug%20adaptor-short.jpg

yes, mfl bulkhead adapter to one of those, the corny post then screws onto that, from there you can use a gray ball lock to snap on. on the inside of the collar just use a FFL and barb on hose to screw to the MFL inside of the bulkhead adapter.

i'll try to post pics tomorrow.

that makes sense, wasn't thinking there would be a gasket inside the post that would screw on top of it.

so bulkhead to adapter to post to qd on the outside... got it!

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads. Someone else on here turned me on to it. It's a flare bulkhead fitting. The 2 and 7/8th inch size is good for going through 3/4 inch collar. I'm sure it would work for a 2x4 also, but there is a longer 4 inch version as well.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_46&products_id=2262
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_46&products_id=2263

This is definitely elegant, and the rubber washers hide any tear out in the wood at the edges of the bore hole, and also stops drafts. If I could post pics, I'd show you mine.

Back