Electrical Protection new control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delium55

Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right: you want to put your life in the hands of whomever is making a 50-amp breaker that can be had for 6.76 Euros ($7.58) from AliExpress?

When I put in the subpanel for electric brewing in my garage, I added a 30-amp breaker with ground fault protection. That breaker cost me $103.

It never would have occurred to me to use a cheap Chinese product instead.

I'm not trying to be rude here, just trying to provide a sense of proportion, given that you may need this thing, at some point, to save your life.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say no. That appears to be a single pole unit, but USA split phase systems require two pole breakers/GFCI's. Single pole units are used in countries that have single phase 230 - 240V power (and no 120V power.)

Also, Residual Current Circuit Breakers have a fault current trip level of 30mA (0.030A) vs. 5mA (0.005A) for GFCI's. 30mA will give a lot bigger, and potentially dangerous, shock than will 5mA, which is well below the danger level.

Brew on :mug:

I'm gonna say no. That appears to be a single pole unit, but USA split phase systems require two pole breakers/GFCI's. Single pole units are used in countries that have single phase 230 - 240V power (and no 120V power.)

Also, Residual Current Circuit Breakers have a fault current trip level of 30mA (0.030A) vs. 5mA (0.005A) for GFCI's. 30mA will give a lot bigger, and potentially dangerous, shock than will 5mA, which is well below the danger level.

Brew on :mug:
That Chint unit is definitely designed for 240V single phase as used in Europe and South Africa. We get the brand here in RSA, but they are regarded as very cheap and likely to fail long before CBI, Schneider or ABB switch gear. They are approved by our standards bureau and I haven't heard of fires or deaths attributed to them, only premature replacements.

I agree with Doug, not suitable for USA split phase. It will only open 2 of the 3 wires if triggered.

Thank all to answer and for informations.

Chint manufacture the same product for 2 poles but with less protection and quality of spa panel and i will go with spa panel 60A.

Thank again.

Latest posts

Back