Electric Tap Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I am thinking too much again, but I wonder if any of the better modders out there could design a simple tap lock that is easy to use, looks nice (or can't be seen), and is still effective?

My best idea so far is an inline valve that is actuated via a keyed electric switch.

Features:

Nearly all parts remain hidden inside kegerator.
As easy as inserting the key and turning.
The key operates a switch which opens a valve to allow the beer to flow.
A turn of the key in the reverse direction closes the valve.
The switch would be mounted on the tower; easy access, discrete, and allows the wires to run to the inside easily.

I had initially thought of building a code-protected keypad device, and decided that it would entail much more work due to software to allow one to program and reprogram the access code, plus the parts are likely much more expensive. Would look cooler though...

The switch would figure into your line resistance (for foaming) so it would be best to have as close to zero resistance as possible on that.

I'm guessing you have roommates...

Here are your parts:

Solenoid: http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cart/i..._id=27&zenid=e8e73baf89c2f4f677141420501f262c

Solenoid Transformer: http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28

The cam lock switch RockforWhite suggested is perfect. It is a nice low profile switch you could hide in the side or in back.
http://millerdial.com/cam-locks-switch-locks.shtml/Key-Switch-Lock/2100.htm

Install the solenoid valves onto your supply lines and that's it (I've assumed the wiring is fairly obvious). A twist of the key one direction powers the valves to close and your keg lines are locked, turn it back and they re-open for service.

:mug:

One of those fingerprint readers would be cool. You'd need a spare 'puter, but you could in theory monitor access as well. Also you could set it to time out after some many minutes in case you forget to "lock" it.

You could probably come up with a timer based auto-lock on the keyed system as well.

Actually there are some finger print and keypad based door locks for houses I'm sure you could mod with a solenoid to send current to the tap lock.

If I move again I will probably have roommates so I'm probably going to want to use a lock as well. I'll probably just put simple liquid valves on the beer lines. Maybe I'll make them do tricks for beer. "Rollover Fred, I said ROLLOVER!"

Hey, with the electric system you could also make it a coin op. That's one way to recover your brewing costs. lol

You could use an asco valve with a key switch. Have the asco valve inline with the beer line. the box with the key switch could fit neatly inside the keggerator.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
I just came across an even better website for solenoid valve...valves in general.
http://www.stcvalve.com/Process Valve.htm

I think you will find a better match to you supply line tubing here

I like this site too. I'll have to look them all over. This is very easily doable, and pretty cheap too.

I like the fingerprint scanner idea, but I would have to have a computer nearby. This is not a problem in general, since I'm anticipating the kegerator will be IN MY COMPUTER ROOM, but I would rather not have it connected to the computer if at all possible, and the simple key lock would perform the required task.

I would think the solenoid would be better placed as close to the tap as possible, so that the CO2 pressure would be able to keep it carbed. I would guess it might be possible for any beer sitting in the hose ahead of the solendoid to go flat if it were to somehow lose pressure overnight or over several days.

I wonder if regular cleaning with BLC will do a good enough job on the solenoid.

Otherwise, you might have crud sticking in the valve. I imagine it'll be fine, but just something to consider.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
I'm guessing you have roommates...

:mug:

Yes, a wife (who doesn't drink beer), an 8yo daughter who likes to help me brew (and who got a taste of IPA at bottling time a couple of weeks ago, and I doubt will be drinking any beer anytime soon!), and a 13yo daughter who has no interest in tasting any beer ever, nor any interest in helping me brew.

My wife is afraid of the kids and/or their friends eventually wanting to sample from the "open tap". I had mentioned a tap lock, but they look a bit cumbersome to use.

The only problem I see with the key switch so far, is that it looks very easy to duplicate or pick if someone were inclined. It's still probably effective for what I have in mind I imagine, but if I had college roommates, I doubt it would be effective for more than 5 minutes.

Actually, I may have one of those switches at home. I think I kept one that came in a very old computer from where I worked. Chances are I eventually tossed it, but I'm more or less a packrat, so I'll have to look and see.

Or when your kids get older and may have an interest in drinking you beer they could do the whole unplug or open up the fridge and screw around with it...but for now this should be good

The solenoid I'm looking at will be 'normally-closed', so that if they unplug, it will still be locked.

As far as opening the lock, I don't see the 13yo spending the time away from a book to learn how to do it. The 8yo, maybe, but in a few years. I'm more concerned about their friends, and my friends' kids.

Dang, but a keypad/fingerprint scanner still sounds too cool! I know I shold keep it simple, for my sake, but still....

olllllo said:
Well they can be spoofed too, just watch Mythbusters.

I saw that episode and the computer based ones were much harder then the door locks.

I would do the key pad, sounds like a fun project.

wihophead said:
I saw that episode and the computer based ones were much harder then the door locks.

I would do the key pad, sounds like a fun project.

Yeah, ANOTHER fun project. As if I need another one!

Latest posts

Back