Electric Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStone

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making the jump from stove top to electric. I have purchased the element and done a ton of reading on this site and others. I am no electrician so I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm what I'm thinking is correct. My hope is that my dryer line is 4 wire and I can just put in GFCI Breaker and new plug if needed. The 3 plug is grounded but to the plate not the outlet. I have attached pics. If anyone could please:

1) Help me identify if I have 3 or 4 wire 240 feed,
2) If it is 4 wire the correct thing to do would be to change breaker to GFCI
3) Do I need to change to 4 prong plug and if so what is correct outlet?
4) What would be the appropriate plug for the element plug if there are only 3 wires going into 4 plug outlet?

Appreciate any help. Just looking for some clarity.

Plug.jpg

Plug Front.jpg

Ground.jpg

element.jpg

1) Help me identify if I have 3 or 4 wire 240 feed. You have a 3 conductor feed plus ground, aka 4 wires.
2) If it is 4 wire the correct thing to do would be to change breaker to GFCI. Yes, you would want the GFCI either way because of the additional risk of a ground fault due to water + electricity in close proximity
3) Do I need to change to 4 prong plug and if so what is correct outlet? I switched mine to a 4 prong during my build, but it is not necessarily required. You can find the 4 prong outlets pretty cheap. Link Here
4) What would be the appropriate plug for the element plug if there are only 3 wires going into 4 plug outlet? I don't quite follow your question. Are you asking what type of female plug would you use for the element?

You can add a GFI breaker but many here buy a spa panel the has a built in GFI breaker. THey sell them at the big box stores for $50. Some people find it easier and cheaper than going into the panel.
Also,Depending an your proximity to the dryer outlet you can run a 10G extension cord to your brew area. It works out in my setup

You can add a GFI breaker but many here buy a spa panel the has a built in GFI breaker. THey sell them at the big box stores for $50. Some people find it easier and cheaper than going into the panel.
Also,Depending an your proximity to the dryer outlet you can run a 10G extension cord to your brew area. It works out in my setup

Thanks for reply! In an ideal world I would just do an 240v extension cord but they seem to run around $140-150. I think the GFCI Breakers themselves run around $100.

So how does the spa box set up in this case work? I would go from spa box to outlet with 10/3 and use appropriate 3 prong male plug end? Then come out of box with what? 4 wire 240v to 4 prong outlet? Seems by the time I finish buying wire, plugs, outlet I would be getting close of cost to just replacing the breaker?

1) Help me identify if I have 3 or 4 wire 240 feed. You have a 3 conductor feed plus ground, aka 4 wires.
2) If it is 4 wire the correct thing to do would be to change breaker to GFCI. Yes, you would want the GFCI either way because of the additional risk of a ground fault due to water + electricity in close proximity
3) Do I need to change to 4 prong plug and if so what is correct outlet? I switched mine to a 4 prong during my build, but it is not necessarily required. You can find the 4 prong outlets pretty cheap. Link Here
4) What would be the appropriate plug for the element plug if there are only 3 wires going into 4 plug outlet? I don't quite follow your question. Are you asking what type of female plug would you use for the element?

Thanks for reply!

So really all I have to do is replace breaker and I am good to go? (i.e. safe) To clarify my #4 question. I was asking about the male end of the element cord that will plug into the dryer outlet. But if I only need to replace breaker I will keep 3 prong so I don't have to change out dryer cord. So I am assuming I just need to get appropriate 3 prong male to put on end now I know that changing to a 4 prong isn't necessary. Is there any down side to not changing to a 4 prong?

I didn't see where you mentioned what you were using to control your element. A lot depends on your controller and whether it will require a common AND a ground - 4 wires.

If you intend to run a pump or two from your control panel then you will need all 4 wires. This would then necessitate changing the dryer outlet from a 3 to a 4 prong configuration. You have the wires so it is an easy swap but as you pointed out that will mean changing the dryer pigtail as well.

If you plan to use something simple like the Stilldragon controller, 3 wires will work fine.

Cheers!

I didn't see where you mentioned what you were using to control your element. A lot depends on your controller and whether it will require a common AND a ground - 4 wires.

If you intend to run a pump or two from your control panel then you will need all 4 wires. This would then necessitate changing the dryer outlet from a 3 to a 4 prong configuration. You have the wires so it is an easy swap but as you pointed out that will mean changing the dryer pigtail as well.

If you plan to use something simple like the Stilldragon controller, 3 wires will work fine.

Cheers!

I posted that thought on another thread. After I got the dryer part figured out I started thinking how the heck am I going to turn this thing on and off,lol, so I posted https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=621295. Someone also suggested the Still Dragon as you did so I went ahead and ordered it this AM. Will work perfect for my needs. I appreciate the response! Cheers!

I wondered! I did read that other post as well...but didn't tie the two together. You are - or will be good to go! Once you get it dialed in I suspect you are going to love electric brewing!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back