Electric Mash Tun Rake/Stirrer (video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score

I'm thinking this just might work! The motor is an electric car window motor, so it is high torque. I don't think I'll want to run it continuously since it gets quite warm, but the intent is to only use it intermittently to mix the mash up and keep the temperature equalized. I've been playing with CraftbeerPi and will be using it to control my MLT and BK elements and the pump to circulate the mash through the HERMS coil. This blender should help keep things mixed up. I may put some kind of variable speed control on it and see if I can run it more continuously without it getting hot. The aluminum bracket holding it to the rim of the keg is just pinned into one of the holes in the keg rim - it lifts off easily. The bottom of the rod fits into a female fitting in the center of the false bottom so it doesn't wander too much. The false bottom has a SS male plug in it from the underside and it screws into the female fitting. This blocks the hole in the center (where the drain elbow used to be when it was in the Igloo cooler) as well as makes the cup for the threaded rod to sit in.

I haven't tried it out yet, but will do so shortly. Works fine with just water as you can see in the video. Checked amperage and it was 2.15 @ 12vdc.

BOM:
1 unknown Bosch motor $25, new, at local electronic supply/schlock shop (12vdc - I have a 'brick' to power it)
1 threaded rod
1 coupler
1 carriage bolt that goes through the hole in the motor gear and connects to the rod with the coupler
3 sections flat aluminum bar, twisted into propellers
1 section angle aluminum to attach to keg rim
1 IKEA large clear frying pan lid, handle removed ~$10
8 nuts
1 washer
1 pin or screw

Total ~ $45 :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back