Electric Element Housing - Safety Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been brewing with electric for a while and loving it! I do have one thing that still makes me nervous every time I brew and I can't find the answer.

I'm using the SS tri-clamp element housing with a stainless element and standard gasket. It's grounded and I checked continuity between the kettle and element ground plug and it's < ~1 ohms and everything is hooked up to a spa panel.

What would happen if that element housing leaked and it filled up with water. Would it just trip the breaker without any issues. Is there ever a scenario where kettle could become energized? Should I add a drain hole to the element housing?

Am I correct in thinking that the Ground is the first safety net and it will take the current back the panel and the GFI is a backup for this safety?

One of two things could happen. Either the water makes contact between the two element terminals at sufficiently low resistance to short out the element and cause an overcurrent situation that blows the breaker, or the water makes contact between one element terminal and ground and causes a ground fault current that trips the GFCI.

I strongly suspect that water will make contact between one of the element terminals and ground before it makes contact between the element terminals (one element terminal will be closer to the rising water - which is in contact with the element housing - than the other, after all, and the GFCI needs a much lower fault current to trip). That means the GFCI will trip first.

The GFCI will trip when there's a very low voltage on the kettle or element housing (which are in good electrical contact if you are using a metal triclamp) - you only need a tiny voltage there to send sufficient current down the low resistance ground connection to trip the GFCI. So, no, the kettle can't become energized to any significant degree.

NervousDad,

Your GFI will trip so quickly at minute milliamperes of power, long before any hazard. Doesn't even need to get wet, high humidity condensation likely.

This is all true if you spent the money on a quality approved gfci instead of buying a Chinese one from fleabay. Check the trip ratings on your gfci

Back