Electric Brewery Control Box Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carkom

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my control box up and running. The only concern I have is that the 220v light that turns on and off with the heating element stays on anytime the switch for the the element is on, it does not properly turn on and off with the element. Biggest thing to note is that it gets brighter when element turns on. So instead of on and off I get a dim light and then a bright light.

I wired my system just like Kal's but used contactors instead of DPDT relays (cheaper). So basically the light comes up dimly when it has only one 120v hot line hooked up to it and it gets brighter when the other 120v hot line gets switched on by the relay.

If the second hot wire is cut off by the SSR how would the light be coming on at all?

Would have to see your writing diagram, but chances are you have a partially completed circuit from hot to neutral through the light. This is a fairly common mistake. There is a thread on here that is pretty good at illustrating what is going on but I can't find it from my phone.

Hey guys, I just got my control box up and running. The only concern I have is that the 220v light that turns on and off with the heating element stays on anytime the switch for the the element is on, it does not properly turn on and off with the element. Biggest thing to note is that it gets brighter when element turns on. So instead of on and off I get a dim light and then a bright light.
If the element is not plugged in, this may be normal. Try it with the element connected (in water).

Kal

So I have a question for ya kal mine is doing the opposite works when element is unplugged and stays on when element is plugged in. I checked wiring and everything is ok it should be working properly the light that is haven't worried about it since my system has turned out 2 awesome beers and I never look at the control panel much anyways just looking for your 2 cents thanks! CHEERS!!

Hard to say - do you have a wiring diagram or is it exactly like my design?

If it's my design and the light stays on when the element is plugged in then it's likely a wiring issue. I'd take a closer look.

Kal

Back