Electric Brew Stand from a 42u Server rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
I've got 3 APC 42u server racks, I've got them listed on craigslist in an attempt to get rid of them but I'm rethinking that.

I've got an electric system with no home, it would love a permanent stand to live on.

I found one post on here that didn't really lead to much,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/server-rack-brew-stand-202586/

model numbers AR1000HD and AR2100

20140708_114012.jpg

20140708_114025.jpg

Most of the structural stability of a server rack comes from having the side panels on. Although I think it will support the weight, I wonder about being able to use it without having the panels in place.

Cool Idea. It looks like you have the skins in the back there. I would bolt the three together, skin the outer two. Do the doors come off easily? Maybe leave the rear doors off and put the front doors on when you are not using it.

As for being able to support the weight, not a issue. A rack of 2 or 3U servers is a hell of a lot more weight than a 1/2bbl of water.

Cool Idea!

The only potential problem i see is make sure they are bolted down good. They can become unbalanced really easy. Also make sure there are some cross braces in there, because the server and etc that are installed do provide some support and keep the rack from wanting to twist. I have no doubt that the racks will be sturdy enough to hold the beer. In my old job i had to climb all over them racks all the time to get at stuff in the ceiling.

Most of the structural stability of a server rack comes from having the side panels on. Although I think it will support the weight, I wonder about being able to use it without having the panels in place.

The side panels provide very little support. I've been working in these things for 20+ years and most have 4 #10 screws in each panel, some have 6, or similar sized fasteners. They are not a factor.

Most have the rails welded to the base and top, and that's where the rigidity is. Having 400 or more pounds in one 10-15 years ago was common. Servers have lost a lot of weight over the years, but density is way up, so probably more is common. I have 1 now with 570 lbs of servers, a disk array and network switches. BUT it's bolted to the floor, adding to it's stability.

I have 2 similar ones stashed away at my shop which are fully disassembleable - the rails bolt on with 2 - 1/2" bolts. I'd be wary of them with 400-600 lbs, but I had 300 in them at 1 time. They were bolted together (6 #10's), and they were rock solid.

If you can fit the parts in, and have the proper access I'd say go for it. Just don't roll it around with full pots/kettles. That could be a mess.

Are you planning to lay them on their side and make a single tier? I don't like that, as the legs add strength in the vertical direction.

upright stand, it could work. My rack is hella strong.

Although the computer geek in me is sad that you have these beautiful racks and you're gonna butcher them. Kinda like when exterminators store chemicals in cornies :(

Are you planning to lay them on their side and make a single tier? I don't like that, as the legs add strength in the vertical direction.

In the front (or back) up orientation they will be very strong as that's the longer side of the 'angle iron' rails, but that might be too high. Even the other way they will still be pretty strong. A spreader or 2 between the rails, and down to the bottom rails will make it much stronger.

upright stand, it could work. My rack is hella strong.

Although the computer geek in me is sad that you have these beautiful racks and you're gonna butcher them. Kinda like when exterminators store chemicals in cornies :(

I'd love to sell them, trying to find a buyer.

Back