Electric Brew Kettle Whirlpool question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyCreek

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to do a whirlpool with an electric kettle with one or more elements inside?

I am trying to determine if the trub will cone up in the middle despite the elements possibly disrupting the cyclone of water.

If anyone has done this and can tell me how well it does or doesn't work, I would be grateful.

Late post. ..

I whirlpool with an element in there using a March pump, works great. Nice pile of crud in there at the end

I have a 30 gal stout tank with a single element and chugger pump and it whirpools just fine. There's a pile of junk in the middle after about 5 minutes.

I was thinking I should take a picture of my trub pile the otherday - yep a reasonable cone. used about 3.5oz of hops in a 8 gallons pale ale, started whirlpoolingwith 5 minutes left in the boil then hooked up the plate HEx for a couple of minutes to "boil" it. no issues with hops plugging!

Where do you guys have your whirlpool port located? I've seen it at the bottom and the at top of the wort level on gas fired kettles, but real discussion on where to put it when there is an electrical element at the bottom of the kettle.

Thanks!

Where do you guys have your whirlpool port located? I've seen it at the bottom and the at top of the wort level on gas fired kettles, but real discussion on where to put it when there is an electrical element at the bottom of the kettle.

Thanks!

Mine is located near the bottom. The element doesn't seem to disrupt it much.

Mine is located near the bottom. The element doesn't seem to disrupt it much.

Mines the same elevation as the element - I think this is probably not the best place, If I did it again I would probably go lower.

Back