Eldercake Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
So I have 3 gallons of elderberry wine in primary and will be puting into secondary soon.
I'll be making a blush with the seconds and want to make a skeeter pee with the cake. Can I get away with 4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket or should I scale the recipe to only 3 gallons?

For the primary bucket it should be ok because i'll be fermenting pretty vigorously, but when you rack to secondary either do a 3gal carboy and a 1gal jug of some kind or a 5gal carboy with ~1gal of some sort of filler (glass beads, marbles, whatever) to help bring you up to the neck.

Or better yet just get enough goods to make a 5 gallon batch and add in the yeast elderberry yeast cake. :)

Drinking some of my 3rd batch of cherry skeeter pee, bottling my blueberry pomegranate and fermenting 3 gallons of concord ... Anyone have any ideas of adding other notes to the concord?

Clann said:
So I have 3 gallons of elderberry wine in primary and will be puting into secondary soon.
I'll be making a blush with the seconds and want to make a skeeter pee with the cake. Can I get away with 4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket or should I scale the recipe to only 3 gallons?

It would be ok because of the limited nutritional value of the lemon juice it needs a lot of o2...and a good aeration 3 times a day. When you rack to secondary put a bunch of marbles in the bottom of ur Carboy to get it as close to the neck as u can

Back