Elderberries for port.. When to pick....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumBugger

Reaction score
Hoping to make an elderberry port / wine.

Anybody know when is best to pick? Fully ripe or slightly early? My instinct would be as ripe as possible....

Thanks !

Where are you at? Some places elderberries are long gone this season. I have some picks on my webpage about what ripe looks like. You want ripe, avoid green and if you use the floating waterbath method you can float most unripe berries out. And if you end up with some green goo stuck to your primary just wipe it off with vegetable oil and then soap and water, I am telling you now because you are going to ask soon.

WVMJ

Cheers, I'm in the uk, midlands. I harvested just under 5lb at the weekend so will be starting the wine soon! First try so fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!

Here is a great story.....
I know a lady that started growing organic Elderberries 2 years ago. I had a chat with her a few months ago and explained that I would like 300 lbs. to produce around 100 gal. of wine. I was wanting to get them cheap but her price was a little too high for me. She called me a few weeks ago and said that she wanted to donate the 300 lbs. to me and all she asked for in return was a few bottles of the wine next spring. DONE AND DONE!!!!
Major score!!!!

cwebb said:
Here is a great story..... I know a lady that started growing organic Elderberries 2 years ago. I had a chat with her a few months ago and explained that I would like 300 lbs. to produce around 100 gal. of wine. I was wanting to get them cheap but her price was a little too high for me. She called me a few weeks ago and said that she wanted to donate the 300 lbs. to me and all she asked for in return was a few bottles of the wine next spring. DONE AND DONE!!!! Major score!!!!

Nice! I'll have to work up to batches of that size!

Back