egg smell after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertFox

Reaction score
My beer finished fermenting two days ago. I just bottled but there was a noticeable rotten egg smell, not strong tho.

I read that stressed yeast can produce such smell, but I'm not quite sure this is the issue here.

I turn non alcoholic beer into beer by adding sucrose and bread yeast. I usually pour the NA beer into carboy and then shake well to degas it, then add the yeast. The thing is that in this batch I forgot to degas before adding the yeast, so I just shook the carboy so well with poor yeast inside.

Did this make the my yeast stressed and eventually led to the bad smell?

Is there anything I can do now to fix this?

Which yeast did you use?

I had a very sulphury smelling fermentation with Fermentis Abbaye yeast. It faded away and couldn't tell it from the finished beer.

I used bread yeast.

for how long did you leave it condition till the smell faded away?

Bread yeast... It will still make beer and the sulphur/egg smell will dissipate with time in the fermenter. I have experienced a few times, but never bothered thinking about it. I also never got it in the final beer, so you should give it time to clean after itself.

I've been using bread yeast for a while now. And had good results.

I will stick to the (minimum 3 weeks in bottle) rule and see how it will come out.

Thanks a lot.

Back