Efficiency, when is it measured?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm trying to figure out what people are talking about when they mention their efficiency. I did my first all grain biab and my preboil efficiency was 70%, is this about normal for no-sparge biab? However, I had some serious trub losses (I was trying to avoid trub too much), and my brewhouse efficiency was about 50% I think.

So, when people in recipies and wherever talk about efficiency, which one do they mean?

They can be referring to both but more often are referring to mash efficiency.
70% mash eff is not a bad number for your first BIAB.

However, I had some serious trub losses (I was trying to avoid trub too much), and my brewhouse efficiency was about 50% I think.

Measure how much volume that you lost to trub. Then, increase your next batch size by this amount. This will leave your mash efficiency unchanged but will bring your brewhouse efficiency equal to your mash efficiency if you can collect your expected volume.

Keep in mind that different recipes will have different losses depending on the amount of hops used or anything else that will increase or decrease trub.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back