Efficiency issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireBrewery

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now and have been brewing mainly AG batches almost since the beginning. For some reason according to beersmith I'm only hitting around 55-60% efficiency. I mash my grains at 152 for 60 minutes. Stirring gently at 15 minute intervals. I've been trying to find the error but I follow the water amounts, ph and etc. to a tee. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer any advice?

My guess: Volume inaccuracy. You have to have your volumes down pat to get any idea of your efficiency.

Also, check your crush.

What's your sparge set-up?

are you take accurate og readings? I knows it fundamental and I don't mean to insult your knowledge or experience by any means. Are you accounting for room temps, drawing a sample correctly, etc?

Aside from that, there are a lot of variables that come into play that we would need to know like grain bill, equipment, crush, water profile, ... To give you a more concrete answer.

The only thing I would suggest if you know the following are good is to try different techniques like the mash and sparge methods and/or changing equipment.

As of right now I am batch sparging. I have my beersmith set up as such (single infusion, medium body, batch sparge) Drain mash tun before sparging is selected. I just ordered a RIMS system. I believe it may be my crush. I have a monster mill 3.0. But it is set at factory settings I havent adjusted it, nor do I have the necessary tools to do so.

I run my sparge volumes that Beersmith gives me to run.

Also, I know this is a huge newbie question, but can someone explain the difference to me about using "medium body, light body, or full body" and how to determine which to use for which beer?

Also, I know this is a huge newbie question, but can someone explain the difference to me about using "medium body, light body, or full body" and how to determine which to use for which beer?

Think of it as thin, medium and thick in terms of mouthfeel. A full bodied beer example would be a stout or a porter. A medium bodied beer would be an Amber Ale. A light bodied beer might be a pale ale, light lager, IPA.

Light body is synomous with "dry". Full bodied is synomous with "Malty" though that's an oversimplification....

I was having the same problem and I changed two things. One, I started running my grain through the mill twice at my local homebrew shop. And two, even though I was batch sparging, I drain the mash tun rather slowly. I went from byeing 10-20 points under, to right on. Now I have to take readings while sparging to make sure I do not overshoot.

Thank you for the clarification. Thats what I figured. But it doesnt hurt to ask. I will probably start running my grains through my mill twice and see if that helps any.

Thank you for the clarification. Thats what I figured. But it doesnt hurt to ask. I will probably start running my grains through my mill twice and see if that helps any.

Buy a feeler gauge and set your mill correctly. That's why you bought it, right?

It sounds like it may be a problem with your crush then. I would also recommend making sure your mash pH is in the right range. It's effect isn't as big on efficiency but it could play a role if your pH is way off. I was having the same issue, consistently getting only 62-64% efficiency and after getting my crush dialed in and my pH in the right range, I saw a huge improvement.

You can buy a PH meter, or you can get a local water report and use software to approximate. The brewersfriend advanced water calculator is really neat for this.

Grain crush is a big one but there are a number of things you can try if that doesn't help.

If you are using beersmith I assume you are batch sparging with water around 168F? Try doing two batch sparges instead of one, you can adjust your water volumes and mash profile in beersmith to calculate this.

Do you give your mash a really good stir before you drain your runnings and before you drain your sparge?

What is your temperature loss over the 60 minute mash? If it is more than a few degrees try not stirring mid mash. I found my efficiency went up when I did a 10 minute stir doughing in and then left the mash for the rest of the period.

You could do an iodine test to check if you are getting complete mash conversion, if not, let in mash for a bit longer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Iodine_test

For reference to what robgoodwin said I batch sparge most of the time and I drain my mash at about 1qt per minute. It's probably slow for a batch sparge but it works.

Yes I use 168 degree water, my coolers hold the temp right around 150-152. I do use one batch sparge and I do give a good stir before I start my drain. I drain quote slow also. I believe most of my issue was with my mill as it was set way way off. I really appreciate all of the device.

Mash pH has no real effect on how many sugars/starches you are able to extract from the mash, nor does your actual mash temperature; though the temperature of the grain bed while your sparging can have some effect on how soluble the sugars/starches are.

Try sparging slower or since your batch sparging letting the mash sit longer after you add your batch of sparge water. This will give the starches/sugars more time to dissolve into the wort. Check your grain bed temperature to make sure it's a tad under 170F during sparging. Improve your false bottom design to reduce channeling. Double check your water volumes going in and out at every stage of the brewing process so that you can be sure your calculating your efficiency correctly. These are just a few things that could be causing your problem.

Edit:

Oh and definitely check your crush as mentioned above!

I also batch sparge and saw a big improvement when I sparge in two steps. So, drain the tun, put in half your sparge water, stir like hell, drain, dump in the remaining sparge water, stir like hell, and drain. Just make sure your sparge water is under 168. I'm at 85% mash efficiency after my 5th all grain batch. I also am using rodi water, 1/2 tsp CaCl, and 2% acid malt in my mash. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back