efficiency calculation - how to account for lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottsaxman

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure efficiency by backing into the numbers, but I can't figure out how to (or if?) I need to adjust somehow for lactose addition in the boil.

I'm using BrewMate software, which tells me the OG on a Left Hand Milk Stout Clone should be 1.060 for a 5 gallon batch, assuming 75% efficiency. However, it has you add lactose in a miscellaneous spot with no potential gravity input. I've seen a couple of adjustments on the forums here - from .004 to .009 points - for 1 pound of lactose added in to the boil. Can anyone confirm the appropriate number?

Going into the fermenter, the adjusted gravity reading was 1.063, including the lactose.

just remove the addition of the lactose (~9pts in this case) to figure out the efficiency. looks like you got about 79%

Lactose has the same molecular weight as sucrose, so I'd just use the same potential value as sucrose (1.046 per pound per gallon).

molecular weight plays no role here

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

This is pretty much the recipe we used. It states OG 1.062. Is this including the lactose? If it is including lactose, I understand the 79% efficiency number.

Since I'm a noob, I assumed my efficiency would be less, so I was subtracting the 9 points from the OG (for 1.054) and backing into about 67% efficiency.

Latest posts

Back