Efficiency Boost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
Last weekend was the maiden voyage with my new HERMS system. It was a fun brew day and I'm really happy with the way it performed. I was surprised that I had an unexpected boost in brewhouse efficiency. Previously I would typically get about 80-82% efficiency with a 60 min. mash and 45-60 min. fly sparge. This batch was the same mash/sparge times, but had a continuous recirculation for the whole mash, and hit 88% efficiency. We shall see if that becomes my new default after a few more brew days. Have others seen a boost like this?

I believe Kal from theelectricbrewery.com gets close to 90% on a consistent basis.

Do you have any pictures of your system that you would like to share with the class?

Constant recirculation improved my mash efficiency by ~10% (72%-82%) for my eBiaB setup. The ability to mash out had to help as well. I have hit 85% if I crushed the grains fine with my Corona mill, but 80%-82% by double crushing at the LHBS.

Here's a pic of the system during a water test:
img_1848-64855.jpg

And here's the panel:
img_1853-64856.jpg

Maiden voyage - Electric ESB:
electric-esb-brew-day-64857.jpg

30A Single PID, 5500W elements.

And come to think of it, this was the first time I have done a mash out in ages...

I just brewed a batch yesterday with mine, even with a few stuck mashes (didn't have rice hulls this time), and with a batch sparge at the end, I hit 90% which is pretty consistent with normal. Enjoy the new numbers!
-Kevin

Back