effects of weak boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack1

Reaction score
So I've been doing five gallon all grain batches for a few months now and it's not that I've had any major problems, but I do these batches on an electric stove which definitely gets my wort to a lightly rolling boil but not nearly as vigorous as my friends that have propane burners. I know people say that it's important to get a vigorous boil and I was just wondering what, if any affects this light boil could have on my beer.

I am definitely planning on getting a burner sometime in the future, I'm just trying to figure out if it's a necessity or if its just somethings that's nice to have and would quicken up my brew day.

Thanks!

I do LME and steeping grains on the stove top. From what I understand (and I could be wrong), the only real difference between a heavy boil and a 'mild' boil, is the rate of evaporation since once water is boiling, the temperature remains constant and cannot rise further until it's in the form of steam. Meaning, the more energy you pump into it, the faster the conversion of water to steam, but that should be the only outcome and that chemically, nothing else should be different since liquid water can't contain more energy once boiling.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure a more experienced brewer will tell us.

Mind you, you should probably have the boil produce a hot break before proceeding with hop additions. so says the palmer.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html

I forgot to mention I'm on an electric stove too, with a limited stock pot, so I avoid the ferverent boils that lead to boil overs in my situation. Usually keep an open bottle of water by the stove to stave off boilovers in a pinch.

great thanks guys and I do essentially the same thing I have a spray bottle with cold water to help fight boil overs hahah

a vigorous boil will help with protein coagulation, hop utilization, and helps drive off the precursors to off-flavors like DMS.

Guys go get information on "heat stick" on the web. I made myself one which is a double so 2X1500. I use it with my propane burner. It gets 6 gallons to boil in about 15 minutes. It would be a great idea to add it if you are not sure what to add. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392296902.580831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back