effects of spices at different times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
im starting to get a little more creative with special ingredients/spices and such to my beers. But i havent really figured out what the effects the ingredients will have if i put them in at different times. My main decision tends to be whether to add spices at the beginning of the boil, at Flame out, or into secondary tea bag style. (most of the time is whether or not i should add at Flame out or into secondary)

is there anything different that i would gain/lose if i put spices, sage for example, in at Flame out or if i out it into secondary? or does it vary from spice to spice?

One of the main things to consider here is that many spices/herbs have volatile flavor compounds that can be lost with exposure to heat, flavor compounds that are extracted better with heat, and flavor compounds that are alcohol soluble. The effects of flame-out, boil, and secondary additions will all provide a different experience depending on the spice/herb used.

My experience with this in brewing is limited, but one slightly more specific piece of advice I can give is that adding spices at the beginning of the boil will not be great. Even pungent hops lose most of their flavor/aroma effects doing this. 20min is probably the longest I'd want to go for in a boil.

Latest posts

Back