Effects of an interrupted boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rust City

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been following this forum for months and have learned a ton.

On my most recent brew, my Mash and Boil kept throwing an error because I had something burn above the heating element. After some repeated attempts to clear the fault, I had to transfer my wort to a kettle to clean my machine. My once boiling wort now cooled to 170 degrees. After clearing the fault, I resumed the boil for 60 minutes.

Could this interruption have an impact on the fermentability of the wort?

My starting gravity was 1.060
My current gravity (stable for 2 weeks) is 1.010.

I am scratching my head because I used Bootleg Biology’s Mad Fermentationist Saison blend, and it is rated to have a 90-100% Attenuation. Brew date was 5 weeks ago.

Should I just be more patient until the Brett kicks in? Any other actions I should take?

Also, perhaps notable: this is the first time I’ve tried to ferment in a corny keg. Maybe that is a contributing factor. Thanks for any help!

I don't think that interruption will have an effect on the fermentability of the wort.

You're currently at ~83% attenuation according to my math. Is your fermentation temperature control pretty good? I think that is a decent attenuation number, and you can wait for a couple of extra points to drop, but I would say after 5 weeks you are probably finished if the gravity readings have stayed consistent.

Yeast can be stressed by many factors, fermentation temp being one of the biggest, so make sure that is dialed in.

Hope this has helped. Cheers!

I agree with the above. If you hadn't mentioned the Brett, I would have said your fermentation seems pretty par for the course and is done. (I haven't used it, so I hesitate to sound too confident.) On the other hand, I can't imagine how the interrupted boil would have much effect one way or the other. If you've had stable gravity for two weeks, I don't see it going any lower.

Thank you both for the advice.

My temperature control was pretty minimal- the culture is rated for temps as low as 68F, and that’s about the room temperature where I was keeping the fermentation.

About a week ago, I rigged up an Ink Bird with a seedling heat mat strapped up to my keg and have been keeping the corny around 74-77F to see if I could drive the fermentation again. I have no problem waiting, but maybe it’s getting to be time to transfer out of primary.

Back