Effect of water on Roast Bitterness/Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingbogart

Reaction score
I recently entered a competition and did fairly poorly, the consensus being that my RIS was severely lacking in both aroma and bitterness. I do agree that both are fairly low or non-existent.

I have another more detailed thread here detailing all the specifics. I didn't get a lot of feedback there but what I did get suggested the lack of aroma might have come from pH levels being off, or not having salts.

Here is my water profile
ecb81d94-a1da-44ff-ba43-431d90d63f37.png

I didn't add any salts or adjust other than using Campden for chlorine treatment. According to Bru'n Water, the mash pH should have been around 5.3. Though I didn't adjust sparge water.

Will missing salts/off pH levels destroy aroma and roast bitterness, or is something else the culprit?

If pH is high it dulls everything but assuming that you used reasonable amounts of high colored malt/barley with this water pH should not have been too high or not by much. Best to use a pH meter to check it out though.

Based on the water software I have seen, the recipe showed it would be about 5.3 pH during the mash. You mentioned that if the pH is high, it will dull everything. Is there a particular stage it needs to remain low for, or just the whole time?

I had read that the higher pH during sparge can cause tannin extraction, but I don't taste any thing off in that area, and it wasn't mentioned by the judges either. This might suggest that I wasn't extremely high if it was high at all.

Anything else you can think of that might cause the lack or aroma/bitterness, or do I just need to rebrew watching the pH to get an idea of what's going on? Unfortunately I don't have any other leads for what could have caused this.

There is not a whole lot of anything in that water. There might be an advantage to adding a bit more chloride and possibly sulfate. However, the mash pH of 5.3 is a bit too low in my experience. For most roasty styles, I find that moving the pH to somewhere in the 5.4 to 5.6 range does accentuate the roastiness. I suggest focusing first on the pH issue and once that is in range, then you might consider adding those extra flavor ions.

I guess I hadn't read enough on pH. I was under the impression that 5.2-5.4 was a general safe zone for beer in general. After rereading some of the information in the Bru'n Water sheet, I had in fact overlooked that a higher pH might be optimal for darker/heavier styles to promote body. I must have been following to many threads on IPA bitterness missing.

I got different opinions from the judges on the body, a Grand Master said it was Medium Thick, which seems to style. The other, an Experienced Judge said "light body". I think it is more in the medium area, so perhaps bumping it to your recommended range would enforce that mouthfeel and bring out the roastiness I appear to be missing.

Does the pH also play a significant role in the aroma, as that was also missing?

Back