effect of 4 week primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a low gravity English style bitter using Safale S04 yeast and then had to go away, and as a result the beer will have been in the primary fermentor for four weeks before I get back home.

This is my fifth batch of beer, and up till now I have been doing three week primaries and then bottling, with fair results.

Is there a chance that the beer will have dropped bright in four weeks, leading to problems carbonating in the bottle? If so, should I make up a small yeast starter and pitch it in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution?

Would it be inadvisable to simply take a spoonful of slurry from the primary fermentor and stir it gently into the bottling bucket? I know this would cloud the beer, but I expect it would settle out in the bottles.

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

B.R.

I've moved to giving all of my beers 4 weeks of primary, as well as 4 weeks of conditioning followed by a full week in the fridge.

For being LAZY I just bottled an American Stout that was in the fermenter for like 8 weeks..Not expecting problems nor should U.

I've had my 2 hearted clone sitting in a primary for 8 weeks (because I'm busy) and dry hopped it a week before bottling. So 8 week primary, 1week dry hop, 3 weeks bottle conditioning = 3 months. It turned out good according to everyone who's tried it. I enjoyed it. A friend of my father in law will not stop telling people how much he loves it.

Hi,

I brewed a low gravity English style bitter using Safale S04 yeast and then had to go away, and as a result the beer will have been in the primary fermentor for four weeks before I get back home.

This is my fifth batch of beer, and up till now I have been doing three week primaries and then bottling, with fair results.

Is there a chance that the beer will have dropped bright in four weeks, leading to problems carbonating in the bottle? If so, should I make up a small yeast starter and pitch it in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution?

Would it be inadvisable to simply take a spoonful of slurry from the primary fermentor and stir it gently into the bottling bucket? I know this would cloud the beer, but I expect it would settle out in the bottles.

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

B.R.

Hello, I always leave my beers 2 to 3 weeks in primary, then I often leave them 2 to 5 months in secondary, I bottle the extra after kegging and never had to pitch extra yeast yet to get bottles to carb up.

Hope this helps !

Cheers :mug:

I've moved to giving all of my beers 4 weeks of primary, as well as 4 weeks of conditioning followed by a full week in the fridge.

i can't go more than 2 weeks to fridge, I must be thirstier than u.........:--) I'd be at the beer store at that pace....:mug:

I drink the lion's share, but I also usually make two 6 gal batches a month with an occasional third batch, though I often use my hobby funds on other hobbies.

I still typically buy at the least a case of commercial beer a month too.

You shouldn't have any issues with carbonation. But at your age, Mr Russell, you really oughtn't to be drinking at all. ;)

You shouldn't have any issues with carbonation. But at your age, Mr Russell, you really oughtn't to be drinking at all. ;)

How old is Mr Russell ? The way you said that it sounded just like my metal shop teacher when I was in high school, haven't thought of him in a lot of years, thanks for reminding me about him !

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for all the input. I bottled as soon as I got back, and you were all right: there was no need to worry about carbonation. In fact, I've just had a bottle (3 days after bottling) and it's perfectly well carbonated for an English style bitter. It's really pretty good.

On the other hand, it has a soapy aroma, and slight soapy flavour. John Palmer's book says this can happen if you leave it in the primary too long (http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html).

By the way, GuldTuborg, reports of my death were greatly exaggerated. I just decided to step out of public life, take a break from mathematical philosophy, and become a home brewer.

B.R.

Latest posts

Back