Edworts Apfelwein - Turning Wannabe's into Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was first introduced to Apfelwein in Darmstadt, Germany at a friend's party. It's a local hard cider drink from the Frankfurt area, but is now famous throughout the world and I enjoyed it for 5 years back in the early 90's.
edwort-apflewine-1-1175.jpg

I have been homebrewing since 1987, but did not bother during the 5 years of living in beer heaven. When I returned to the United States, I began to gather up the needed equipment to make good beer again and I thought about replicating the dry, tart beverage of Apfelwein. The Internet was forever changing the way homebrewers shared their successes and failures and information was plenty.
I started off with Apple Juice and Montrachet wine yeast. I added some corn sugar to boost the alcohol content, and found out by accident that it helped dry out the cider, making it even closer to the original Frankfurter Apfelwein . The rest is history.
edwort-apflewine-2-1176.jpg

The recipe was posted on Homebrewtalk.com just over 8 years ago and it has garnered over 2.2 million views and over 12,000 responses. Google "Apfelwein Recipe" and it's the number one return.
Over the years, I have received hundreds of private messages from folks who have told me that Apfelwein was the deciding factor in their start of homebrewing beer. The ease of making a batch of Apfelwein and the subsequent success of enjoying the finished product encouraged many a newbie into the next step of homebrewing. Many jumped head first into All Grain brewing.
edwort-apflewine-warning-1177.jpg

Making Apfelwein is as easy as mixing juice, sugar, and yeast, plus a lot of patience. In the process, people learn many of the basic steps needed for homebrewing, but without having to buy all the equipment or deal with what at first glance can be a complicated process.
edwort-apflewine-large-2-1179.jpg

Apfelwein makers learn the proper way to clean and sanitize fermentation vessels, racking equipment, and bottles. They also learn how to bottle and carbonate a beverage. Finally, they learn the value of patience and the impact it has on the finished product. These are basic, yet very important skills needed to make good beer.
edwort-apflewine-large-1178.jpg

I am very happy that the Apfelwein recipe has helped so many homebrewing wannabe's get off the fence and start a new hobby that results in fantastic libations!
Prost!
EdWort

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider)
Apple Wine Recipe
  • Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza
  • 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders
Ingredients
  • 5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
  • 2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
  • 1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast
Equipment
  • 5 Gallon Carboy
  • Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
  • Funnel
Directions
1. Sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
3. Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
4. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
5. Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
6. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.

There's no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no just, just a thin layer of bubbles . I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.
It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary.
It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here) Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging, then let it sit even longer.
edwort-apflewine-large-2-1179.jpg

Ah, apfelwein. The go-to recipe when you want to make something, but don't have the time or energy for a full-on brew day.
Also, it tastes good.
Edwort's the man.

I was stationed in darmstadt Germany.. And still live close by in Wiesbaden. I was planning on making some apfelwein or Cyser this weekend. Think I'll check your recipe.

Is there any need to pasteurize the stuff once done?
I ask because the batch of hard cider i made with apple juice and ale yeast, would not stop fermenting and i ended up with 50+ bottle bombs.

Your question begs the answer. "Once done", there is no need to pasteurize if by "done" you mean that a) there is no residual sugar (or if there is still unfermented sugar, you have stabilized the cider with K-meta and K-sorbate) and b) you have allowed most of the CO2 to be expelled from the cider. If you bottle while the yeast is still producing CO2 then that CO2 can exert enough pressure to pop a cork or explode the glass, but then the fermentation is not "done". The only way to know if the fermentation is "done" is to use an hydrometer and measure the specific gravity - which as in the article should be below 1.000 (and sometimes as low as .996 or even lower).

MrFeltimo, just check the gravity. Apfelwein should goto 0.999 like a wine, which means there's absolutely nothing left to ferment in there.
I suspect your cider wasn't done and probably still had a pretty high FG when you primed and bottled it. Cider even for ale yeast is highly fermentable and can go to very low wine-like FG's even with ale yeast.

Does apfelwine benefit from malolactic fermentation? -Is that essentially what's improving the flavor over time?
(Should I add a malolactic culture to hurry this process along?)

I tried this (basically the same) recipe, but the LHBS told me to use Notty. It has been months, but it is so dry, it is undrinkable(almost). Is this normal?
Lady @ LHBS said, oh, just cut it with some apple juice.
I'm more like, wth?

What do you consider to be "room temperature"? Rooms in my house vary between 45 and 75 depending on season.

@ Keith
It should be dry as hell. If you don't like that, you can do what's called 'backsweetening'. There is a ton of info on that in the cider forum. Traditional Apfelwein is meant to be dry, though.

I am definitely going to try this recipe :) My question is, do you bottle it like a wine (no carbonation, large multi-serving bottles) or like a beer (priming sugar and single-serving bottles)?
Assuming of course that you aren't kegging it.

@SquidPope
You can bottle it either way. I've bottled half a batch with priming sugar and half without. With priming sugar, it produces an effervescent apple-champagne. Without, it's like a still, dry wine. My girlfriend prefers it carbonated, so that's how I usually bottle it, but it's a very flexible beverage.

@Keith_O Try adding about 1/4 of the glass as sprite. Sweetens it up nicely and the lemon/lime flavor of the sprite makes the apple flavor pop more.

OK, so my cider was indeed done, it sat in the primary for well over 3 months then checked for gravity, <1.000, then sat in secondary for 3 months, kind of set and forget, tasting periodically for flavour. once happy, prime and bottle.

MY experience with Apfelwein (Hanau, DE - late '90s) is the reason you put that caution 'sticker' up...and, the reason I WON'T be trying your recipe! :D
Having said that; the reason I'm a home brewer today is because of my 4 years of living in 'Beer Heaven!'

I'm going to try this soon..... seems awesome... I'll carbonate the bottles.

Any other juices this recipe could work with.... yes, I know it wouldn't be Apfelwein... just wondering! Or mixing the apple juice with another juice... say grape or cherry....half and half?

@bford I changed one gallon of apple juice for a gallon of black cherry juice. Its over six months old, looks like a nice red wine and tastes great. Its so cheap to make and so hard to mess up that I think you should experiment with it

@Devlosirrus When bottle carbing it... what is the ratio of corn sugar per gallon? Is it around 1 ounce per gallon?
I'm going to bottle it next Sunday hopefully!

bford & trev12110, I used Tart Cherry juice, replacing one gallon of the apple juice...SO GOOD. The color was wonderful too. My only problem was the blowoff factor. I am about to brew another batch which will also have controlled temperature, but this time with a blowoff tube. Has anyone else had this issue?

Question on priming - how much priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch? Going to start my first batch this week! Thanks in advance!

Has anyone tried adding candi syrup (Golden or D-45) to have a caramel flavor?

You shouldn't have bottled it until it was done fermenting...

Not sure this is the place for this question, but, here goes. I have a corny of Apfelwein that has not been refrigerated for more than a year... It has been below freezing and pretty hot too...any chance it's still good to drink?

You all keep mentioning hangovers from this stuff. . . Most people here seem unaware that Apfelwien is typically mixed with sparkling water when it is served. Particularly in Frankfurt - any classic apfelwein place (like Wagner's) brings you a bembel (like a pitcher) full of apfelwein, and a bottle of sparkling water.
You generally start with about a 50/50 mix, and will likely use less water after you drink a few glasses. The mix is partly why I never get a hangover from apfelwein. . . Though on a hot sumemr day I prefer to just fill a pint glass with ice and then top it up with straight apfelwein (still achieving a mix).

Latest posts

Back