Edwort's Apfelwein Grog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
I'm having company over tonight and was thinking of trying the grog from the "Man, I love Apfelwein" thread.

What else can you do with this recipe?
EdWort says, "this makes a great Grog in the winter time. Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

OK so what is turbinado sugar? Is it easily found at the local market, and if not is there a substitute for it?

doubleb said:
I'm having company over tonight and was thinking of trying the grog from the "Man, I love Apfelwein" thread.

What else can you do with this recipe?
EdWort says, "this makes a great Grog in the winter time. Take a quart in a sauce pan, add some rum, turbinado sugar, and float a cinnamon stick in it and simmer for a while. Serve hot in mugs. It'll warm you right up."

OK so what is turbinado sugar? Is it easily found at the local market, and if not is there a substitute for it?

Yeah, it will come in a brown box called "Sugar in the Raw". Should be very easy to find.

It's pretty much just that: unprocessed cane sugar. It has a light brown color.

mrkristofo said:
Yeah, it will come in a brown box called "Sugar in the Raw". Should be very easy to find.

ooooohh yeah I know what your talkin about. Thanks for the the reply and I'll be trying that grog out tonight. :mug:

mrkristofo said:

Sugar in the raw is basically cane sugar with a bit of molasses thrown in for color and flavor

I made a batch didn't like the taste of it.

I put some potassium sorbate in there to stop fermentation.

I masked it by taking 2 C apfelwein and heating and dissolving 1.5 C Dark Brown Sugar, 1/2 C Splenda, and a couple large cinnamon sticks boiled for a few minutes. Then it was too sweet and cloying.

I heated it in a microwave and it tasted great...go figure...5 gals of grog...:drunk:

Back